The United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) is organising its first virtual conference dedicated to the space economy in Africa on the 30th of June, 2021. The conference is consequently titled “Space Economy – Africa In Focus”. Furthermore, building on UNOOSA’s 2020 Space Economic Initiative’s success, the conference will run from 10:30-16:00 CEST.
Components of the Event
During the conference, High-level representatives from UNOOSA, African Union, Portugal and companies in the space sector will engage in a peer-to-peer exchange of good practices to foster space economy growth. Furthermore, this activity provides a unique platform at the UN level to bring the African commercial space sector together to discuss how to grow strong, responsible and sustainable space economies. In addition, the conference will feature two expert-level sessions. Consequently, these sessions will see private companies’ representatives exchange success stories and lessons learned as an established company in the sector. Additionally, these sessions will focus on the upstream and downstream sector.
The confirmed speakers at the event include:
- Simonetta Di Pippo, UNOOSA Director;
- Mahama Ouedraogo, African Union, Director, Education, Science, Technology, and Innovation;
- Hugo Costa, Portugal Space Agency, Director;
- Abimbola Alale, NIGCOMSAT CEO and MD;
- James Barrington Brown, NewSpace Systems CEO;
- Bruno Henrion, Rascom Star CTO;
- Jessie Ndab, Astrofica Co-founder and MD;
- Olugbenga Leke Oyewole, Atlantic Factorial CEO; and
- Vivyann Meta, LocateIT Limited, Dir. Business and Technical Services.
The programme is as follows
- 10:30-11:00 High-level opening session with UNOOSA, African Union and Portugal representatives
- 11:00-12:30 Space companies peer-to-peer exchange (session 1)
- 14:30-16:00 Space companies peer-to-peer exchange (session 2)
UNOOSA launched its Space Economy Initiative in 2020. Since then, the initiative has provided free-to-access opportunities to exchange aptitude and insights of public and private-sector experts from across the global space sector.
Interested persons can consequently register for the conference here.