The National Research Foundation [NRF] is looking for a Project Manager. Upon employment, the successful candidate will provide project management support to the South African Radio Astronomy Observatory [SARAO] departments. This will consequently be by initiating, planning, executing (controlling and monitoring), and closing projects following the SARAO project management processes.
- Provide project management support to SARAO departments;
- Initiate projects by developing necessary documentation;
- Contribute to scope definition;
- Engage with multiple project stakeholders to ensure the success of projects;
- Successfully plan for projects by developing detailed project management plans;
- Prepare cost estimates and establish a budget baseline;
- Execute projects according to plan and manage execution processes through customised methodologies;
- Conduct procurement; this includes initiating the procurement process up to contracts management following NEC/FIDIC/GCC etc.;
- Compile progress reports (schedule reports, cost reports etc.);
- Manage project risks; and
- Close the projects and hand them over.
- BTech Engineering / BSc Engineering, and
- Certification in project management (PMP/Prince II) or Project Management qualification.
- 5+ years experience in a project management role
- Experience working in a project management capacity;
- Knowledge of project management principles/standards;
- Relevant experience managing significant multidisciplinary large-scale projects- managing engineering projects or science projects;
- Basic knowledge of systems engineering process;
- Strong decision-making and excellent communication skills;
- Good analytical and planning skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and willingness to work outside regular hours if required;
- Demonstrate initiative and lateral thinking to solve problems and drive decision making;
- Initiate a project by developing a business case, undertaking feasibility studies, compiling a project charter;
- Cost estimation up to establishing project budget baseline;
- Contract Management following NEC, Fidic or GCC standards;
- Conducting procurement by initiating procurement process up to contract or tender award;
- Administering tenders;
- Manage compensation events; and
- Close the project following all necessary steps.
- Time management;
- Risk management;
- Budget management;
- Adaptability; and
- Project management methodologies.
About The Employer
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of national research facilities, and science outreach platforms and programmes to the broader community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering, social sciences, and humanities.
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities in the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, commonly known as the SKA, in engineering, science and construction. SARAO is a national facility managed by the National Research Foundation. It incorporates radio astronomy instruments and programmes such as the MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) programme in nine African countries, as well as the associated human capital development and commercialisation endeavours.
The NRF offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package which is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The NRF is committed to employment equity, and the appointment will be made in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan.
The NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment. The NRF will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Closing date: 16 August 2021
To apply for the position, kindly click here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.