The 60th session of the Annual UN Committee On Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (COPUOUS) Legal Subcommittee (LSC) Meeting is running from the 31st of May to the 11th of June. The session includes an IISL/ECSL Space Law Symposium titled “Space Law for Global Space Economy”. The symposium comprises several discussions on topics, including
- Cooperation and competition in space – the economic landscape by Tare Brisibe
- Space and international trade law by Lesley Jane Smith; and
- Economic aspects of national space law by Jairo Becerra, amongst others.
The session will also include the following side events.
- A side event organised by signatories of the Artemis Accords. The event is “Artemis Accords: Safe and Sustainable Space Exploration”.
- A side event organised by Austria titled “The role of private actors in shaping national space law and policy – dynamics and stumbling blocks”; and
- A side event on the Role of the National Space Legislation in Advancing the Rule of Law in Outer Space, by Japan, United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) and The Asia-Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF)
The 59th Legal Subcommittee, scheduled for 23 March – 3 April 2020 could not hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.
COPUOS deals with international cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space. Furthermore, the Committee monitors and discusses developments related to the exploration and use of outer space, technical advancements in space exploration, geopolitical changes, and the evolving use of space science and technology for sustainable development.
For more information on the session, including the digital recordings, please visit the Legal Subcommittee website.