The Square Kilometre Array Observatory (SKAO) is seeking an IT Manager responsible for providing IT services to SKAO staff in South Africa’s [SKA-MID] and beyond. In addition, the role will involve close collaboration with teams across the globe working on the SKA project. Also, the position is ideal for someone with a technical background looking to build a team but who can directly handle computing and networking challenges.
- The IT Manager is responsible for providing IT services to SKAO staff in South Africa. They will work in conjunction with the IT teams in Australia and the UK to provide a single Service Desk providing support across multiple time zones and countries, supporting staff and the wider SKA community.
- The IT Manager will build up a small team of IT and network technicians, transitioning from providing direct support as the main activity to overseeing and supporting where necessary as resources allow. They will cooperatively manage the asset lifecycle for hardware and software assets. In addition, they will provide a level of local network support, especially in the early stages of the project.
- The incumbent will liaise with the Head of Information Technology to maintain strategic alignment and with the IT service manager to prioritise service delivery activities and work on continual service improvement.
- The IT Manager will be able to collaborate with, support and be supported by the global SKAO staff, IT colleagues and the wider SKA community of subject matter experts.
- National Diploma in Information Technology or equivalent with 15 years experience, OR
- Bachelors’ degree in Information Technology or with equivalent with ten years experience
- Technical experience thereby able to provide direct IT support when required;
- Experienced in the administration of local area wired and wireless networks;
- Knowledge and experience in IT service provision;
- Experience in asset lifecycle management and software asset management;
- Experience in managing resources and prioritisation;
- A flexible team player who is adaptable to change;
- Strong communication skills with international stakeholders;
- Able and willing to work out of regular working hours on occasion to meet service needs;
- Experience in Lean-Agile project management;
- Experience of working in a globally diverse team;
- Programming/scripting experience and capability across multiple platforms;
- Experience with Microsoft, Apple and Google computing devices and mobile device technologies and device management systems;
- Experience with Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Online services like O365;
- Experience in Cloud products such as Dropbox and Atlassian products.
- Knowledge and background with IT Service Management disciplines and Frameworks such as ITIL and Change Management.
Desirable additional education, work exp. & personal qualities
- Certification held in industry/community -recognised disciplines/technologies pertinent to the role.
- General interest in Astronomy and related sciences and technologies.
The SKA-Mid IT Manager will be expected to demonstrate the SARAO and SKAO’s values and work actively to instil those behaviours in all SKA-Mid staff in South Africa.
SKAO’s values are:
- Diversity and Inclusion;
- Creativity and Innovation; and
SARAO’s values are:
- Passion for Excellence;
- World-class service;
- Integrity and Ethics; and
Both SARAO and SKAO value and respect difference and are committed to building an inclusive culture by creating an environment where people can balance a successful career with their commitments and interests outside of work. In addition, SARAO believes that you will do your best at work if you have a work/life balance. However, some roles lend themselves to flexible options more than others. Consequently, the issue must be raised during the interview, as SARAO and SKAO are open to discussing flexible working opportunities during the hiring process.
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV by logging in here before 21 February 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide the names and contact details of at least three referees.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will be made in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.