The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting an Electronics Technician on a permanent contract. The successful candidate will be part of the Electronics team responsible for the development of novel electronics components, modules, subsystems and systems to further the goals of the South African Radio Astronomy Observatory.
- Provide inputs to develop and execute SARAO’s hardware and firmware strategy to maintain a leading position in electronics technology development for the Radio Astronomy community and beyond.
- Implementation of Hardware and Firmware tasks.
- To ensure the high quality of all projects and products of the Electronics Functional Group regarding hardware and firmware.
- Integration and Testing of Electronics at PCB, Subsystem, and System Levels. Creating and following ATPs and compilation of high-quality ATR reports.
- Assist with Lab tasks to ensure high standards.
- Procurement of electronic components following the SCM processes.
- Mentor the less experienced Electronic Group team members
- Accountable for the quality and professionalism of deliverables
- Exercise discretion to make technical and operational decisions consistent with organisational policies.
- National Diploma (Electrical/Electronic NQF Level 6).
- Valid Driver’s licence (Advantageous).
- Three years of experience in electronics hardware and firmware design.
- Hardware Engineering.
- Firmware Engineering.
- Software Engineering.
- Supply Chain Management in the PFMA environment.
- Configuration management.
- Radio Astronomy Instrumentation
- Hardware Design (analogue and digital)
- PCB Design
- Firmware Design
- Software Design
- Test and Verification
- Detailed technical knowledge and experience in an R&D environment.
- Able to conceptualise and/or provide inputs to novel technical solutions to unique challenges.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills.
- Work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Work in remote locations when required.
- Excellent communication in English (written and verbal).
- Commercialisation experience.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a Comprehensive CV here by 18 April 2023. The application should include a letter of motivation and three referees’ names and contact details.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.