The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a Software Site Support Engineer on a permanent contract. The successful candidate will support the telescopes’ engineering, deployment and commissioning activities in Karoo, Capetown.
- Investigating support issues reported on site.
- Coordinating tests, fault finding and tracking down of cross-subsystem issues.
- Supporting user requests for data and trend analysis.
- Fixing minor bugs in the deployed software where possible.
- Engaging with different subsystems to identify problems, perform system integration tests, and support commissioning tests on site.
- Deploying and maintaining development infrastructure.
- Deploying software subsystems on production systems and managing/monitoring site deployments.
- Documentation and project management input as required.
- Site visits as required.
- Training of operators and commissioners on the software subsystems.
- Lab integration tests of subcontractor deliverables with the software systems; feedback/inputs to subcontractors.
- Assist in developing and performing integration tests to examine the whole software subsystems on lab machines before deploying to karoo systems.
- Configure, install and help troubleshoot operating system software and server hardware.
- Configure and manage subsystem networks.
- Monitor and maintain the performance of servers.
- N.D (Comp Sci) with 6+ years; OR
- B.Tech/B.Sc (Comp Sci) with 5+ years; OR
- B.Eng/B.Sc Hons (Comp Sci) with 4+ years; OR
- M.Eng/M.Sc (Comp Sci) with 2+ years; OR
- Engineering (with a software focus) or related field.
- Testing, deployment, commissioning, release and support of large-scale projects.
- Test-driven development and integration testing techniques, methodologies and frameworks and supporting systems.
- Quality assurance processes and software development processes.
- Modern software collaboration tools include Github, Containers, Google Drive, JIRA etc.
- Knowledge of continuous integration, testing and deployment techniques and tools.
- Knowledge of the Linux operating systems and networking.
- Knowledge of the Python programming language is beneficial.
- The applicant should have the following skills, abilities, and competencies:
- Work independently and be a good team player;
- Participate and thrive in a collaborative environment;
- Strong English oral and written communication;
- Troubleshoot issues methodically;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Good knowledge of and experience in software testing and quality assurance;
- Some experience in Python and software development;
- Some experience with operating systems (Linux, OS X, Windows) and networking;
- Excellent and proven fault-finding skills;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently;
- Keen interest in engineering and how systems work;
- Good attention to detail;
- Wanting to learn more and expand knowledge; and
- Team player and ability to thrive in a collaborative environment.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a Comprehensive CV here by 30 March 2023. The application should include a letter of motivation and three referees’ names and contact details.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.