The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a software developer on a permanent contract. The successful candidate will join the rest of the team at the facility at Cape Town, Western Cape to develop, configure, integrate and maintain the SARAO storage and archive component of the telescope and observatory.
In addition, the software developer will work with other developers and engineers within the organisation to contribute to the storage and archive architecture, its building blocks, as well as its monitoring, operations and maintenance.
- Contribute to the construction and implementation of the data storage platform for the telescope
- Develop and implement the archive platform for the telescope
- Contribute to the development of the CEPH solution within the SDP subsystem
- Develop and maintain an efficient data transfer solution for the delivery of data to external stakeholders
- Development and integration of the tape library into the SDP archive solution
- Monitoring, operation and incident management relating to storage, archive and data transfer
- Systems engineering, activity planning and management, and documentation support
- National Diploma in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field (5 years experience)
- Bachelors in Computing or related (3 years experience).
- Experience in developing software in Python
- Experience working with the Linux operating system
- Experience with large capacity distributed storage solutions, e.g. CEPH, LustreFS, BeeGFS, StorPool
- Knowledge or exposure to redundant storage solutions, e.g. RAID
- Knowledge or exposure to tape libraries and tape solutions
- Knowledge or exposure to file transfer solutions, crawlers and batch-processing solutions
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 20 October 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide the names and contact details of at least three referees.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and a competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will be made in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
You can get more information regarding the opening here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.