The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a Senior SHEQ Officer on a permanent contract. The successful candidate will join the Cape Town, Western Cape facility to monitor and ensure compliance with health and safety, environmental regulations and quality control.
- Develop and maintain policies, procedures, general safety documentation, mini HIRAs, health and safety risks and legal compliances;
- Implement and maintain the ISO certification process for the organisation
- Manage, investigate and report on incidents, statistics, audits, hazards, surveys, COIDA and general assessments regularly;
- Train SARAO staff and conduct awareness programmes on health and safety culture;
- Conduct continuous risk assessment and management for all SARAO sites;
- Develop construction health and safety specifications for tenders;
- Manage and assess health risks, updating occupational health documentation and health legal compliances;
- Manage and continuously monitor the provision of comprehensive primary healthcare and ambulance services, including communication with the DOH on legal matters;
- Manage activities of the emergency evacuation drills and health risks at least once per year at all SARAO sites;
- Develop and monitor the SARAO Environmental Management System, including the required environmental documentation process;
- Train, create quality awareness, implement and maintain the quality culture at SARAO;
- Lead, monitor and maintain the quality assurance of internal and external timeously audits and reviews – including Calibration;
- Supervise and monitor the implementation and maintenance of the Total Quality Management System (TQMS), required Standards, general Specifications, inspection, testing, and NDE requirements;
- Advise and coordinate SARAO Emergency Management Team (EMT);
- Monitor emergency response procedures and incident response levels;
- Assess, identify and advise on ergonomics health; and
- Manage the HSE during the development, construction, and operational phase of projects.
- National Diploma in the relevant field (Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental or Quality);
- SACPCMP registered Professional Construction Health & Safety Agent (PrCHSA);
- NEBOSCH certification (advantageous); and
- 8+ years experience as a SHEQ Officer, of which three years is in a supervisory/management capacity, preferably in engineering projects, operations, construction, infrastructure, design and development environment.
- ISO 9001, ISO14001, ISO 45001, and OHSAS 18001 and training;
- HSE management during the development, construction, and operational phase of projects;
- Health, Safety and Environment Management Systems, Environmental Laws and Regulations, Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993 and its Regulations;
- Incident Management, Incident Investigation by using systemised tools, HSE Auditing Techniques;
- Risk management (Identify areas of risk and develop measures to eliminate, reduce and control them);
- Quality assurance management;
- Experience accessing external and internal based SHEQ Document Management Systems;
- Experience performing a gap analysis procedure in Health Safety and Environment; and
- Experience organising cultural and training, including leading and managing a team;
- Application of Health, Safety, and Environmental legislation (including knowledge of OHSACT);
- Relevant ISO standards and auditing (ISO9001, 45001 and 14001);
- Application of the principles and practices of SHEQ and Risk management;
- Good understanding and working knowledge of relevant legislation referencing the environment (i.e., NEMA, NWA, NEM: WA, MPRDA etc.);
- Good working knowledge of the OHS ACT and the required regulations, including the Construction Industry Legislation and Regulations;
- Interpretation of SHEQ Management Systems, procedures and policies, including document control;
- Computer literate in MS Office (PowerPoint Presentation, Excel, Word, etc.); and
- Audit and implementation competency of ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001.
The applicant should have the following skills, abilities, and competencies.
- Excellent people management skills such as leadership, teamwork, interpersonal, coaching, mentoring and supervisory skills;
- Ability to plan, set goals, and manage time, priorities, resources, accountabilities, schedules and costs;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to solve problems, interpret and analyse report, and implements recommendations;
- Good attention to detail;
- Good incident and accident investigation skills,
- Must follow protocol, take the lead, implement corrective action and close out the investigations as per prescribed timelines;
- Good safety acumen;
- Self-motivated and assertive;
- Valid Drivers License;
- Willingness and ability to travel nationally; and
- HSE management during the development, construction, and operational phase of projects
- Willingness and ability to travel nationally.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 28 March 2023. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and a competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
You can get more information regarding the opening here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.