The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO), is recruiting a senior power engineer on a long-term contract spanning four years. The senior power engineer will collaborate with the Functional Manager: Electrical and Program/Project Managers. Together, they will ensure the successful design and delivery of the SKA infrastructure projects and other instruments within schedule, budget and quality standards.
- Assume professional responsibility for providing proven specialist/ technical expertise, and leading a diverse team and resources including external suppliers/stakeholders to achieve relevant objectives.
- Provide evidence of experience working on and/or leading multi-million rand projects where the consequence of failure/poor performance is high
- Interpret and in some cases provide guidance, related to user-level requirements in order to develop system-level requirements
- Lead a team of engineers to develop solution(s) to fulfil requirements at subsystem and system levels and take professional responsibility for these solutions
- Innovate and perform parallel trade studies toward providing optimal solutions – including compliance with relevant statutory laws and regulations
- Assume accountability for meeting all requirements associated with the electrical power system to enable overall organisational (or system level) objectives to be achieved
- Make technical and operational decisions independently of higher-level authority based on sound knowledge of organisational processes, directives and guidelines and applicable laws.
- Mentor team members and transfer specific technical knowledge.
- B.Tech with 10+ years OR;
- B.Eng with 9+ years OR;
- M.Eng with 7+ years OR;
- PhD with 5+ years.
- Preferably come from a consulting engineering background;
- Previous experience on multi-disciplinary projects;
- Held position of responsibility and accountability for designs/project delivery;
- Experienced with complete project lifecycle from inception to close-out
- Monitoring and reporting of technical progress and cost against project schedules, risk identification, planning, management and reporting analysis and development, implementation and control of risk mitigation strategies where applicable;
- Facilitation of effective communication and workflow both internally and externally
- Monitoring and management of project appointed consulting engineers or specialists;
- Change control
- Input to work package status reporting
- Ensuring that costs are contained and options are chosen which reduce costs without degrading performance.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 27 April 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide the names and contact details of at least three referees.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will be made in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
You can get more information regarding the opening here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.