The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a Project Engineer on a five-year contract. The successful candidate will join the project team at the Cape Town, Western Cape facility to manage the SKA-Mid dish structure prototype and ensure all deliverables are efficiently reviewed and commissioned.
- Execute and/or support qualification and investigative tests on the first SKA dish structure prototype;
- Manage configuration and change control; and
- Review contractors’ site acceptance tests.
- BEng (preferably Mechanical or Mechatronics) with 4+ years; OR
- MEng (preferably Mechanical or Mechatronics) with 3+ years; OR
- PhD (preferably Mechanical or Mechatronics) with a year of experience.
- Experience controlling and applying system engineering processes and procedures, e.g. baseline establishment/management and change control;
- Experience defining and executing technical tests, post-processing test data (MATLAB or PYTHON), root cause investigation, and technical report writing
- Exposure to project lifecycle/production environment
- Working experience in the astronomy, space or military industry
- Quality assurance systems;
- Engineering standards;
- Configuration management and configuration management systems;
- Systems engineering methods, procedures, tools and techniques;
- Servo control systems;
- Large steel structures, e.g. welding, stress relief, etc.;
- Mechanical component/assembly fabrication and acceptance;
- Radio Frequency Interference principals;
- Production environment; and
- Engineering life cycle.
The applicant should have the following skills, abilities, and competencies:
- Willingness to travel locally and abroad;
- Working at remote sites for extended periods;
- Integrated project team experience;
- Data processing using MATLAB or Python;
- Analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Proficient with Microsoft Word/Excel/Visio and PowerPoint;
- Data processing and/or tests script development using Python or MATLAB;
- Perform detailed engineering tasks and analysis;
- Conceptual / systems thinking;
- Analytical problem-solving;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Able to multitask;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Able to take the initiative and work independently;
- Self-disciplined, ordered and structured; and
- Valid driver’s license.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 4 April 2023. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and a competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
For information regarding the opening, click here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.