The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) intends to recruit a Programme Manager who will take overall responsibility for programmes and all the projects within a programme and need to keep track of all aspects of the programme under their control. In addition, they will work with the rest of the engineering team, which includes Domain Experts, System Engineers and Project Managers, to support the execution of their work. Likewise, they must efficiently use support services like finance and supply chain to ensure acquisition processes run reliably.
- Programme Managers need to be professional specialists with a high level of expertise, a substantial degree of independent professional responsibility and discretion in the specific programme(s) they are responsible for, working to broad parameters and policy guidance.
- Programmes that are managed will require planning and operations over several years, and these managers are responsible for the structure and development of the programme/s they are responsible for.
- Programme managers are required to ensure that projects under these programmes are effectively executed from inception through to fully functional handover to operations and are therefore required to set quality and professional standards and manage service delivery.
- The work includes developing and implementing operational plans and contributing to the longer-term plans for the area to fit with broader organisational and NRF strategy by providing long-term input into the strategic plan for the engineering department.
- Programmes managed are strategically crucial to the organisation for an expected timescale of 20 or more years.
- Liaise with international SKA consortia on programmes related to the SARAO programme under their control.
- Implementation and management of activities supported by agreed to processes and procedures (including providing inputs and approval of Project/Programme Management Plans; System Engineering Management Plans, Quality Assurance Management Plans, Integrated Logistics Support Plans and Safety Plans).
- Stakeholder coordination and management as required and agreed with the Head of Engineering (including the international SKA organisation, African partner countries and relevant state departments).
- B.Eng/B.Sc (Hons) with 15+ years relevant experience; OR
- M.Eng with 13+ years relevant experience; OR
- PhD with 10+ years relevant experience;
- With either PMP (or equivalent) or Pr Eng or MBA
- Working on science-related engineering projects that include a research and development component.
- Proven history of delivering on large projects;
- Working in a multi-national project environment;
- Systems Engineering/ Product development processes;
- Configuration Management and Maintenance of Product Configuration;
- Production processes relevant to their functional area;
- Development and implementation of operational plans;
- Project management (extensive);
- Writing technical proposals/documents;
- Developing and implementing revised or new work methods, designs, policies and processes;
- Acting as chairman for PDR/CDRs on their programmes;
- Technical leadership
- Project and Programme Management (extensive);
- Government procurement processes;
- Supplier Management;
- ISO9001 Quality System;
- Knowledge of national and international standards where applicable;
- Work methods, designs, policies and processes related to their program;
- Systems Engineering best practices
- Formal management or project management qualification (e.g. PgMP);
- Proactive nature;
- Strong leadership qualities;
- Organised and systematic way of working;
- Documentation rigour;
- Focus on quality;
- Adherence to development processes and quality systems
Interested applicants should submit a comprehensive CV by logging in here and applying online. A letter of motivation indicating the applicant’s suitability for the position should accompany the application. In addition, the applicant should also provide the names and contact details of at least three referees.
The position will close on 24 March 2022. In addition, you can get more information on the opening here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.