The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a Product Data Engineer to work at its facility in Cape Town, Western Cape, for a seven-year fixed term. The Product Data Engineer will define and populate the product breakdown structures and the associated product defining and product-associated data within the appropriate product data management (PDM) tools, for a set of assigned development products. This will include products directly under development by SARAO as well as those being developed under a contract of SARAO and/or SKAO. The successful incumbent will report to a Senior Systems Engineer.
- To plan the product data management activities based on organisational and higher level product plans, systems and structures;
- To work within the product development team in support of the lead systems engineer to develop the product data structures;
- To consolidate, categorise and commit the product data to the PDM system(s) for baselining and control;
- To perform configuration audit of product data in support of design reviews and baseline establishment;
- To make available to the organisation product data which has integrity and remains current;
- To ensure that change control of product data is managed in a consistent and expedient manner; and
- Establishing baselines and design configurations, including preparing and delivering data packs and MRIs.
- B.Tech in an Engineering discipline with + 6 years experience; or
- B.Eng/B.Sc (Eng)/ MTech with 4+ years experience; or
- CICM/CM2/CMDB or equivalent Certification
- Applying product data engineering;
- Across the multiple lifecycle stages of a system or product;
- At all levels up to user systems (L6) of the systems hierarchy;
- Supporting development teams in managing technical data during various development lifecycle phases;
- Compilation of data management plans and procedures;
- Use of Product Data Management (PDM) or Product Life-cycle Management (PLM); systems such as eB (historical), ALIM, SolidWorks PDM, etc;
- Application and control of data management processes and procedures;
- Baseline establishment and management; and
- Engineering change control.
- Recognised domain knowledge of product data management;
- Experience in product development and systems engineering processes;
- Configuration of management standards, e.g. IEC/IEA 649, IEEE 828, ISO 10007; and
- Quality assurance systems (ISO 9001).
Skills/ Ability/ Competencies
- Operate as part of a team that engineers products and systems, typically at any level of the systems hierarchy from materials & components up to systems of systems;
- Undertake product data engineering activities covering multiple lifecycle phases of the system under development;
- Perform detailed data management tasks with limited or no supervision, employing practical experience;
- Provide data management simultaneously on multiple products across multiple domains;
- Use advanced interpersonal skills in order to influence engineering attitudes and improve the integrity of the product data management environment; and
- The Product Data Engineer will operate within a matrix engineering organisation and thus may be deployed between various projects and teams with different specific roles as dictated by the current organizational needs. Formal configuration management accreditation (CICM/CM2/CMDB/etc.) will be an advantage.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 04 August 2022. Applicants should also include a letter of motivation in their applications, demonstrating their suitability for the role. In addition, applicants must provide the names and contact information of at least three referees.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will be made in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.