The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is looking to recruit a Mid Deputy Site Manager on a five years contract at Carnarvon, Northern Cape. The SKAO Deputy Site Manager will support the SKAO site manager with the daily execution of site construction management activities on the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) site.
- The deputy site manager will form part of a small site management team led by the Site Construction Director, who will coordinate SKA construction activities on site. The SKAO NEC Project Managers and Supervisors will be responsible for the management of the various construction contracts, and the Site Management Team will work with the Contractors, Project Managers and Supervisors to ensure effective and efficient overall coordination;
- The site management team will work closely with the SARAO site management Team to coordinate with existing facilities, their ongoing concurrent operation on-site, and the adjacent local communities. The Deputy Manager shall ensure that the SKAO’s brand, values and reputation are upheld on-site; and
- The role will require a full-time presence at the SKA mid-site in the Karoo with frequent travel to the Science Operations Centre in Cape Town and periodic travel to the GHQ in the United Kingdom, and less frequent possible trips to the other telescope host country and elsewhere will also be expected reporting to the SKA MID – Site Manager.
- Degree in Engineering (Built Environment) or Construction Management or a closely related field with a minimum of 5 years’ site/construction management experience; and
- National Diploma (or equivalent) in Engineering (Built Environment) or Construction Management or a closely related field with at least ten years of site/construction management experience.
- A proven track record of being part of a team managing a construction site to successfully deliver complex engineering/construction projects in a multi-disciplinary setting;
- Demonstrated ability in managing overlapping constraints and jurisdictions for construction on site;
- A demonstrated ability to manage strict time schedules and evolving priorities in terms of the delivery of a construction project on-site;
- Evidence of an ability to build relationships, work collaboratively and manage complex professional relationships with geographically dispersed teams; and
- Experience in supporting and mentoring teams.
- Experience in site management of construction projects in Southern Africa;
- Experience with project management tools such as Primavera or Microsoft Project and collaboration tools such as Confluence, Jira, G-Suite, Miro etc.;
- Familiarity with the formalism for and requirements of quality control environments such as ISO9001;
- Familiarity with local site conditions, which includes local community and socio-economic initiatives;
- Experience in site management of construction projects in Southern Africa experience in supporting and mentoring teams; and
- Experience with project management tools such as Primavera or Microsoft Project and collaboration tools such as Confluence, Jira, G-Suite, Miro etc.
- Valid Code 8 Driver’s license;
- Registration with a professional council (e.g. ECSA, SACPMP);
- Fluent in the English language with excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Fluent in the Afrikaans language with excellent verbal and written communication skills (stakeholder engagement);
- Understanding of construction contracts;
- Project processes;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the South African construction industry legislation and regulations;
- Good understanding of the South African government legislation (PPPFA, PFMA, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Environmental Management Act, Construction Industry regulations, National Water Act, Minerals & Petroleum Resources Development Act, amongst others); and
- Understanding of construction contracts.
- Provide the required management, support and coordination on-site;
- Solve problems and resolve conflict;
- Ability to operate alone and within a team under pressure;
- Ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders;
- Self-motivating with a positive attitude;
- Ability to learn new software packages used during construction (e.g. eB, CEMAR); and
- Proven track record in managing staff and contractors on construction sites.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a comprehensive CV here and apply before 04 June 2023. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications and at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Visit here for more information regarding the job opening.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.