The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is looking to recruit a deputy site manager. The contract will last five years and the opportunity is at Carnarvon, Northern Cape. The SKAO Deputy Site Manager will support the SKAO site manager with the daily execution of site construction management activities on the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) site. They will also ensure that the work is governed by the South African Site Information & Site Instructions to Contractors.
- The Deputy Site Manager will form part of a small Site Management Team led by the Site Construction Director. The Director will coordinate SKA construction activities on site. in addition, the SKAO NEC Project Managers and Supervisors will be responsible for managing various construction contracts. The Site Management Team will work with the Contractors, Project Managers and Supervisors to ensure effective and efficient overall coordination.
- The Site Management Team will also work in close cooperation with the SARAO Site Management Team. They will coordinate with existing facilities and their ongoing concurrent operation on-site and also with the local adjacent communities. Consequently, the Deputy Manager shall ensure that the SKAO Brand, Values and reputation is upheld on site.
- The role will require full-time presence at the SKA site in the Karoo with frequent travel to the Science Operations Centre in Cape Town. It will also require periodic travel to the GHQ in the United Kingdom and less frequent possible travel to the other Telescope Host Country. Furthermore, Line Management reporting will be to the SKAO Deputy Telescope Director Daily / functional reporting to the SKAO Site Manager.
- Degree in Engineering or Construction Management or a closely related field with a minimum of five years site management experience; or
- National Diploma (or equivalent) in Engineering or Construction Management or a closely related field with a minimum of 10 years of site management experience
- A proven track record of being part of a team managing a construction site to successfully deliver complex engineering/construction projects in a multi-disciplinary setting
- Demonstrated ability in managing overlapping constraints and jurisdictions for construction on-site;
- A demonstrated ability to manage strict time schedules and evolving priorities in terms of the delivery of a construction project on-site;
- Evidence of an ability to build relationships, work collaboratively and manage complex professional relationships with geographically dispersed teams
- Construction / Site Management
- Proven track record in managing staff and contractors on construction sites
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal qualities:
- Registration with a Professional Council (e.g. ECSA, SACPMP)
- Demonstrated knowledge of the South African construction industry legislation and regulations;
- Good understanding of the South African government legislation (PPPFA, PFMA, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Environmental Management Act, Construction Industry regulations, National Water Act, Minerals & Petroleum Resources Development Act amongst others)
- Experience in supporting and mentoring teams
- Valid Code 8 Driver’s licence
- Fluent in the English language with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluent in the Afrikaans language with excellent oral and written communication skills (stakeholder engagement)
- Understanding of contracts
- Experience in site management of construction projects in Southern Africa
- Experience with project management tools such as Primavera or Microsoft Project and with collaboration tools such as Confluence, Jira, G-Suite, Miro etc.
Applicants can apply by submitting a comprehensive CV by logging in here. Furthermore, a letter of motivation indicating the applicant’s suitability for the position should accompany the submission. The application should also include the names and contact details of at least three referees.
You can visit here for more information on the position.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.