The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is looking to hire an Environmental Officer for its Square Kilometre Array (SKA) site. The SKAO Site Environmental Officer (EO) will form part of the SKAO Site Management Team reporting to the SKAO HSE Manager. The Site Environmental Officer will be based on the SKA Site in the Karoo on a full-time basis and be willing to reside in Carnarvon. The SKAO Site Environmental Officer will primarily be responsible for implementing and monitoring contractor Environmental Management Plans (EMPrs) during construction and ensuring SKAO compliance during operations.
- Responding to contractors’ environmental communications and escalating, where necessary, to the SKAO HSE Manager;
- Coordinating the efforts with site environmental procedures;
- Maintaining surveillance and compliance with contractor EMPrs and the SKA Integrated Environmental Management Plan (IEMP);
- Administering the environmental/heritage policies and procedures and new employee environmental induction training, including contractor and subcontractor employees;
- Liaising with NEC Supervisor, advising the NEC Project Manager and SKAO HSE Manager if a contractor has substantially broken an environmental regulation and monitoring subsequent rectification; and
- Attending all relevant site environmental meetings.
- A recognised Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science or Environmental Management with a minimum of five years experience on a construction site; OR
- A recognised National Diploma in Environmental Science or Environmental Management with a minimum of seven years of experience on a construction site;
- Registration with a legally recognised professional registration organisation such as the South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions (SACNASP) or the Environmental Assessment Practitioners Association of South Africa (EAPASA); and
- Valid driver’s licence.
- Proven knowledge of the National Environmental Management Act (NEMA) and regulations;
- Proven knowledge of the National Environmental Management: Protected Areas Act;
- Proven knowledge of environmental aspect Hazard Identification and Risk Management Processes;
- Sound knowledge of environmental incident investigation processes and their causation phenomena;
- Knowledge and experience in the development and/or implementation of environmental management systems;
- Knowledge and experience of environmental auditing as per ISO 14001 standards; and
- Environmental Auditing and inspection training.
- Project processes
The ability to do the following is necessary:
- Solve problems and resolve conflict;
- Provide solutions that are practical and pragmatic;
- Ability to operate alone and within a team under pressure;
- Self-motivating with a positive attitude;
- Ability to learn new software packages used during construction (e.g. ALIM, CEMAR, Incident and Accident Reporting tools); and
- Ability and willingness to travel between various Northern Cape locations and be prepared to reside in Carnarvon and be based on site on a permanent basis.
The SKA-Mid Environmental Officer will be expected to demonstrate the SARAO and SKAO’s values and to work actively to instil those behaviours in all SKA-Mid staff in South Africa.
SKAO’s values are:
- Diversity and inclusion;
- Creativity and innovation; and
SARAO’s values are:
- Passion for excellence;
- World-class service;
- Integrity and ethics; and
Applicants are to submit a comprehensive CV here before 16 October 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants are to provide at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will only send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
You can get more information about the application here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.