The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is looking to hire a SKA-mid HSE officer to work at its facility in Carnarvon, Northern Cape, on a six-year contract. The successful candidate will collaborate with the SKAO HSE Manager on the development and implementation of the SKAO HSE Programme. The HSE Officer will be based on the SKA Site in the Karoo on a full-time basis (85 km outside the town of Carnarvon in the Northern Cape), and be willing to reside in Carnarvon.
- Reporting directly to the SKAO – HSE Manager
- Responding to contractor HSE communication and escalating, where necessary, to the SKAO HSE Manager
- Will be required to reside in Carnarvon and be based on the SKA site at Carnarvon in the Karoo, Northern Cape on a full-time basis
- Assist in coordinating the efforts with site medical services (including emergency evacuation and disaster management),
- Maintaining surveillance, and monitoring compliance to contractors’ HSE Plans,
- In liaison with each construction work package NEC Supervisor/NEC Project Manager, monitoring HSE practice on the SKA site
- In liaison with each construction work package NEC Supervisor/NEC Project Manager, receiving accident, incident and near-miss reports as required
- Assisting the NEC Supervisor/NEC Project Manager with security-related efforts
- Regularly visiting construction areas, site facilities and installations and report all health and safety non-compliance and deficiencies
- Recording all significant visits and site HSE control reports
- Administering the HSE policies and procedures, visitor, and new employee induction training
- Attending all relevant site HSE meetings
- Assisting in the preparation and review of HSE management plans, procedures, training material, awareness campaigns and contractor awards
- Controlling the maintenance of site-specific HSE requirements
- In liaison with the Site Entity (SARAO), coordinating HSE inductions for visitor access and new employees
- If required, representing SKAO in visits or investigations by government departments, statutory authorities, and insurance agencies
- Participating in all relevant H&S training
- Reporting to the SKAO HSE Manager on specific or critical HSE issues
- In liaison with the NEC Supervisor, advising the NEC Project Manager, SKAO HSE Manager and SKAO Construction Director if contractors have substantially broken a health, safety or environmental regulation and monitor subsequent rectification in accordance with Core Clause 91.3 of NEC4 Contract
- In liaison with relevant third parties, contributing and developing continuous HSE improvement observations and recommendations.
- A recognised Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety (SAMTRAC / NEBOSH) with a minimum of 5 years’ experience on a construction site; or
- A recognised Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety with a minimum of 3 years’ experience on a construction site,
- Registered with SACPCMP as a Construction Health and Safety Officer (CHSO)
- Valid driver’s license (essential)
- One or more of COMSOC 2, NEBOSH certificate, SAMTRAC or equivalent certificates
- Auditing and inspection experience
- Experience in building strong people relationships and participating in a team
- Knowledge and interpretation of HSE Management Systems, procedures and policies, including document control
- Health, Safety, Construction
- Proven track record in working with contractors on construction sites
- Risk Management
- Proven knowledge of the Occupational H&S Act and Regulations (e.g. Legal Liability, Construction Regulations)
- Proven knowledge of Hazard Identification and Risk Management Processes (e.g. HIRA)
- Project processes
- Solve problems and resolve conflict
- Provide recommendations in respect of health and safety compliance that are practical and pragmatic
- Ability to operate alone and within a team under pressure
- Self-motivating with a positive attitude
- Ability to learn new software packages used during construction
- Ability and willingness to travel between various Northern Cape locations and be prepared to reside in Carnarvon and be based on-site on a permanent basis
The SKA- Senior HSE Officer will be expected to demonstrate the SARAO and SKAO’s values, and to work actively to instill those behaviours in all SKA-Mid staff in South Africa.
SKAO’s values are:
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Creativity and Innovation
SARAO’s values are:
- Passion for Excellence
- World-class service
- Integrity and Ethics
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 14 June 2022. Applicants should also include a letter of motivation in their applications, demonstrating their eligibility for the role. In addition, applicants must provide the names and contact information of at least three referees.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will be made in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
You can get more information regarding the opening here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.