The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) has openings for three mid-level System Engineers to join its team at Cape Town, Western Cape, on a permanent contract. The successful applicants will work as part of a team executing the systems engineering during the design, construction, integration, verification and commissioning of the SKA Mid Dishes and associated support systems, both in the laboratories in Cape Town and on-site at Carnarvon in the Northern Cape.
- Plan and execute assembly, integration and verification of complicated systems, both in the laboratory and in the field;
- Be responsible for systems engineering over multiple lifecycle phases with a strong ability to address the speciality engineering and “ilities” of systems design for subsystems and systems with medium criticality;
- Establish baselines and design configurations, including preparing and implementing engineering changes to the baselines;
- Perform detailed engineering analysis and synthesis of alternative solutions derived from unclear or vague specifications;
- Review and integrate multiple activity reports into system-level analysis and reports to ensure the quality and integrity of results and recommendations;
- Provide “field engineering” services after delivery to aid in fault diagnostics and rectification;
- Coach or mentor one or more young engineers in the field of engineering and specifically systems engineering;
- Participate in work teams focussed on Project or Programme planning and strategic decision-making; and
- Contribute to organisational maturity by maintaining and upgrading engineering processes within his/her realm of responsibility.
- B.Eng/B.Sc (Eng) with 4+ years relevant experience; OR
- M.Eng with 3+ years relevant experience; OR
- PhD/D.Eng with 1+ years relevant experience.
- Integration, testing and verification of complicated systems, which include RF, digital and mechanical elements;
- Applied Systems Engineering across the multiple lifecycle stages of a system or product at all levels up to user systems (L5) of the system’s hierarchy;
- Use of Computer-aided Systems Engineering Tools (e.g. CORE);
- Application and control of systems engineering processes and procedures;
- Baseline establishment and management; and
- Change control.
- Recognised domain knowledge of systems engineering in computing infrastructure and technology based on theoretical aspects and experience in systems engineering methods, procedures, tools and techniques;
- Configuration management and configuration management systems;
- Systems Engineering Standards, e.g. ISO/IEC/IEEE 15288 & 15289;
- Quality assurance systems (ISO 9001); and
- Knowledge of the PFMA and related procurement regulations.
- The applicant should have the required skills/abilities/competencies;
- Operate independently or as part of a team to engineer products and systems, typically at any level of the system’s hierarchy, from materials & components up to systems;
- Undertake engineering activities covering multiple lifecycle phases of the system under development with a strong ability to address the speciality engineering and “ilities” of system design;
- Perform detailed engineering tasks and analysis with limited or no supervision, employing academic and practical knowledge gained on the job;
- Provide systems engineering on a primary system across multiple domains while supporting secondary product development;
- Contribute to or lead the evolution and implementation of improved engineering processes;
- Use advanced interpersonal skills to influence engineering attitudes and systems design for operational environments;
- The Systems Engineer will operate within a matrix engineering organisation and thus may be deployed between various projects and teams with different specific roles as dictated by the current organizational needs; and
- ASEP/CSEP accreditation will be an advantage
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a comprehensive CV here and apply before 12 June 2023. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications and at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Visit here for more information regarding the job opening.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.