The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is hiring an antenna structures project engineer on a five-year contract. The successful candidate will be part of an integrated project team whom, on behalf of the SKAO, will be responsible for qualifying the SKA-Mid Dish Structure prototype and managing the main contractor deliverables during the production phase, ensuring that the dish structures are delivered, constructed, commissioned and tested against its requirements and that associated documentation are reviewed and configured before being handed over for further acceptance, integration and verification. In addition, the incumbent will be charged with interfacing with other SARAO and SKAO functional groups and subsystems, as well as the main contractor and his sub-contractors.
- Execute and/or support qualification and investigative tests on the first SKA dish structure prototype;
- Data analysis and report writing;
- Managing configuration and change control; and
- Witness and review the contractor’s site acceptance tests
- BEng + 4 years experience (preferably Mechanical or Mechatronics); or
- MEng + 3 years experience (preferably Mechanical or Mechatronics); or
- PhD + 1-year experience (preferably Mechanical or Mechatronics); and
- Valid driver’s license.
- Application and control of System Engineering processes and procedures, e.g. baseline establishment/management and change control;
- Defining and executing technical tests, post-processing of test data (MATLAB or PYTHON), root cause investigation and technical report writing;
- Exposure to project lifecycle/production environment; and
- Working experience in the astronomy, space or military industry is desirable.
- Quality assurance systems;
- Engineering standards;
- Configuration management and configuration management systems;
- Systems engineering methods, procedures, tools and techniques;
- Servo control systems;
- Large steel structures, e.g. welding, stress relief, etc.;
- Mechanical component/assembly fabrication and acceptance;
- Radio Frequency Interference Principals;
- Production environment; and
- Engineering life cycle.
- Willingness to travel locally and abroad;
- Working at remote sites for extended periods;
- Integrated project team experience;
- Data processing using MATLAB or Python;
- Analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Proficient with Microsoft Word/Excel/Visio and PowerPoint;
- Data processing and/or tests script development using Python or MATLAB;
- Performing detailed engineering tasks and analysis;
- Conceptual / systems thinking;
- Analytical problem-solving;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Able to multitask;
- Effective communication in English (both written and verbal);
- Able to take the initiative and work independently; and
- Self-disciplined, ordered and structured.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 17 May 2023. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Kindly check here for more information regarding the job opening.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.