The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a Software Site Support Engineer on a permanent contract. The successful candidate will join the team at the facility in Cape Town, Western Cape, to investigate support issues, coordinate tests and track subsystem issues and support user requests for data analysis, amongst other things.
- Investigating support issues reported on site;
- Coordinating tests, fault finding and tracking down cross-subsystem issues;
- Supporting user requests for data and trend analysis;
- Fixing minor bugs in the deployed software where possible;
- Engaging with different subsystems to identify problems, perform system integration tests, and support commissioning tests on site;
- Deploying and maintaining development infrastructure;
- Deploying software subsystems on production systems and managing/monitoring site deployments;
- Documentation and project management input, and site visits as required;
- Training of operators and commissioners on the software subsystems;
- Lab integration tests of subcontractor deliverables with the software systems; feedback/inputs to subcontractors;
- Assist in developing and performing integration tests to test the full software subsystems; on lab machines before deploying to karoo systems;
- Configure, install and help troubleshoot operating system software and server hardware;
- Configure and manage subsystem network; and
- Monitor and maintain the performance of servers.
- N.D (Comp Sci) with 6+ years; OR
- B.Tech/B.Sc (Comp Sci) with 5+ years; OR
- B.Eng/B.Sc Hons (Comp Sci) with 4+ years; OR
- M.Eng/M.Sc (Comp Sci) with 2+ years; OR
- Engineering (with a software focus) or related field
- Testing, deployment, commissioning, release and support of large-scale projects;
- Test-driven development and integration testing techniques, methodologies and frameworks; and supporting systems; and
- Quality assurance processes and software development processes;
- Modern software collaboration tools such as Github, Containers, Google Drive, JIRA etc;
- Knowledge of continuous integration, testing and deployment techniques and tools;
- Knowledge of the Linux operating systems and networking; and
- Knowledge of the Python programming language is beneficial.
- Work independently and be a good team player;
- Participate and thrive in a collaborative environment;
- Strong English oral and written communication;
- Troubleshoot issues methodically;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Good knowledge of and experience in software testing and quality assurance;
- Some experience in Python and software development;
- Some experience with operating systems (Linux, OS X, Windows) and networking;
- Good and proven fault-finding skills;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently;
- Keen interest in engineering and how systems work;
- Good attention to detail;
- Wants to learn more and expand knowledge; and
- Team player and ability to thrive in a collaborative environment.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 22 November 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and a competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.