The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is hiring a senior software site support engineer to work at its facility in Cape Town, Western Cape, on a permanent contract. The successful candidate will join the team in its software engineering division. The senior software site support engineer will support the engineering, deployment and commissioning activities of the radio telescope in the Karoo and report to the software functional manager.
- Investigating support issues reported on site.
- Coordinating tests, fault finding and tracking down of cross-subsystem issues.
- Supporting user requests for data and trend analysis.
- Fixing minor bugs in the deployed software where possible.
- Engaging with different subsystems to identify problems, perform system integration tests, and support commissioning tests on site.
- Deploying and maintaining development infrastructure.
- Deploying software subsystems on production systems and manage/monitor site deployments.
- Documentation and project management input as required.
- Training of operators and commissioners on the software subsystems.
- Lab integration tests of subcontractor deliverables with the software systems; feedback/inputs to subcontractors.
- Assist in developing and performing integrated tests to test the full software subsystems on lab machines before deploying to Karoo systems.
- Configure, install and troubleshoot operating system software and server hardware.
- Configure and manage subsystem networks.
- Monitor and maintain the performance of servers.
- Mentor software site support Engineers.
- Make technical decisions, and propose improvements.
- Assume full responsibility for subsystem networks routing, switch, fabric and operating system administration.
- ND (Comp Sci) with 11+ years; OR
- B.Tech/ B.Sc (Comp Sci) with 10+ years; OR
- B.Eng / B.Sc Hons (Comp Sci) with 9+ years; OR
- M.Eng / M.Sc (Comp Sci) with 7+ years; OR
- PhD / D.Eng with 5+ years
- Technical software development, testing or support experience.
- Testing, deployment, commissioning, release and support of large scale projects.
- Test-driven development and integration testing techniques, methodologies and frameworks; and supporting systems.
- Understanding of networks routing, switch fabric and operating system administration.
- Modern software collaboration tools such as Github, Containers, Google Drive, JIRA etc.
- Continuous integration, testing and deployment techniques and tools.
- Linux operating systems and networking.
- Python programming language is beneficial.
- Work independently and be a good team player.
- Participate and thrive in a collaborative environment.
- Strong English oral and written communications.
- Troubleshoot issues methodically.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Desirable additional education, work exp. & personal qualities:
- Good knowledge of and experience in software testing and quality assurance.
- Some experience in Python and software development.
- Extensive experience with operating systems (Linux, Windows) and networking.
- Good and proven fault-finding skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Keen interest in engineering and how systems work.
- Good attention to detail.
- Wanting to learn more and expand knowledge.
- Team player and ability to thrive in a collaborative environment.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 07 July 2022. Applicants should also include a letter of motivation in their applications, demonstrating their eligibility for the role. In addition, applicants must provide the names and contact information of at least three referees.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will be made in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
You can get more information regarding the opening here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.