The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a senior software developer to its facility in Cape Town, Western Cape. The senior software developers are part of a development team building the MeerKAT, MeerKAT Extension and the Square Kilometre (SKA) telescopes’ science data processors. In addition, the incumbent will research, analyse and evaluate requirements for existing or new software applications and operating systems. Furthermore, the successful candidate will design, develop, test and maintain software solutions to meet these requirements. Also, they may be expected to guide and work with more junior team members to accomplish their tasks.
- Develop, test, and maintain the SDP system and its components;
- Participate in the documentation and refinement of system requirements, design and implementation solutions;
- Research, innovation and continuous skills and insight development;
- SDP system quality assurance and control;
- Support deployment of releases and fixes;
- Support the SDPs compute infrastructure requirements;
- Contact other areas of the organisation to develop new/improved processes and supporting systems;
- Participate in project management and systems engineering activities; and
- Mentorship, development and guidance of new members.
- B. Eng. / B. Sc. / B. Tech. or higher in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering or related field
- Seven (7) years experience, in a combination of further (post-graduate) education and work experience;
- Experience developing software and systems in Python, or other imperative languages;
- Experience in systems analysis and engineering;
- Experience working with formal project management and agile practices and methods;
- Experience working with data processing or backend systems;
- Knowledge, experience or specialisation in implementing specialist technology and computing modules, e. g. security, networking, identity and access management, file management systems, large scale computing and storage, etc.;
- Experience integrating and configuring various software technologies and infrastructure; and
- Experience in technology research, technology development and maturation towards production readiness.
- Knowledge, experience or specialisation in computing concepts such as computing theory, data science, architecture, algorithms and patterns, parallel computing, computer systems optimisation, etc.
- A post-graduate degree or equivalent qualification in computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering or related fields;
- Demonstrated domain and technology knowledge, expertise, specialisation or thought leadership in computing, systems design, architecture or implementation. This can be shown through certification, higher research-focused qualifications, or record of delivery of dynamic solutions, organising or leading contribution in the technology or innovation community;
- Ability to effectively transfer knowledge and skills to other team members;
- Ability to mentor, guide and further develop junior team members;
- A precise and methodical approach to problem-solving;
- Great attention to detail, excellent organisation skills; and
- Good communication skills, written and verbal.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV by logging in here before 01 March 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide the names and contact details of at least three referees.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will be made in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.