The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a Senior Software Developer (pipelines) on a permanent contract in Cape Town, Western Cape. The successful candidate will join the team at the facility in Cape Town, Western Cape, to provide expertise to the Science Processing Team in efforts to develop astronomy packages, respective pipelines, and the quality tools that supplement the software, among other things.
- Develop and improve science-focused telescope data processing software;
- Participate in science support or research opportunities that have relevance to observatory or Science Processing objectives;
- Designing and developing software, operational procedures and documentation by applying organisational systems engineering principles;
- Develop and document relevant science pipelines software;
- Support deployment of releases, perform post-deployment verification, and support users concerning queries regarding new functionality or changes;
- Participate in science projects within the SDP or SARAO to improve telescope design, utility and product quality;
- Participate in skills development training organised by the organisation to acquire new or additional skills; and
- improving current skills or developments towards domain expertise.
- MSc (Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science);
- PhD (Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science); and
- 7+ years (Astronomy, Astrophysics, or Interdisciplinary Sciences in developing science projects).
- Substantial experience working with radio astronomy interferometry imaging;
- Technical experience in radio astronomy interferometry Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) analysis;
- Substantial experience working with Radio astronomy data calibration;
- Work experience in Software development using Python or similar languages;
- Substantial experience with Linux and open-source software environments; and
- Work experience analysing large data sets (giga-terabyte scale).
- Radio interferometric theory and practice;
- Signal processing;
- Data analysis and machine learning;
- Linux operating system;
- Python or knowledge in other modern languages;
- Systems Engineering practices; and
- Formal Agile development practices.
- Work independently and be a good team player;
- Participate and thrive in a collaborative environment;
- Troubleshoot issues methodically;
- Some experience in Python and software development;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently;
- Good attention to detail;
- Wants to learn more and expand knowledge; and
- Team player and ability to thrive in a collaborative environment.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 05 November 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and a competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.