The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is hiring a senior scrum master on a permanent contract. The senior scrum master will join the team at its facility at Cape Town, Western Cape and will be expected to adopt, promote and coach Lean-Agile principles, core values and practices.
- Enable teams to self-organise, self-manage and deliver.
- Support and reinforce Scrum team rules.
- Foster an environment of collaboration, learning and innovation.
- Focus on ever-improving team dynamics and performance, helping the team manage interpersonal conflicts, challenges and opportunities for growth.
- Facilitate and lead meetings, including planning, progress, review, retrospectives and problem-solving workshops.
- Establish and communicate the calendars for iterations.
- Assist in determining milestones and roadmaps, and the plans that enable them.
- Assist in determining sprint objectives and acceptance criteria.
- Protect teams from distractions and unrelated \ unnecessary work.
- Track and report on the implementation of features and capabilities.
- Escalate, track and eliminate impediments.
- Manage risks and dependencies.
- Assist in ensuring that a clear “Definition of Done” is defined and adhered to.
- Help to improve the flow (velocity) of value through value streams by promoting continuous delivery and DevOps.
- Help to motivate team members with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Collate and publish quantitative measures of progress.
- Coordinate inter-team cooperation. Prototyping and software development of the telescope operational software (all stages of the full software development life-cycle may be encountered).
- Collaborate with departmental stakeholders to support engineering, commissioning, operations and science activities.
- Assist in maturing of software development and quality assurance processes towards greater standardization and improved long-term maintainability and robustness.
- Facilitate coding standard compliance and code reviews, which include mentoring junior engineers.
- ND (Comp Sci) with 11+ years; OR
- B.Tech/ B.Sc (Comp Sci) with 10+ years; OR
- B.Eng / B.Sc Hons (Comp Sci) with 9+ years; OR
- M.Eng / M.Sc (Comp Sci) with 7+ years; OR
- PhD / D.Eng with 5+ years
- Scrum Master Certified
- Experience in software engineering and acting as a Scrum
- Master in an Agile environment for at least 3 of these years
- Refer above for years’ relevant experience
- Awareness and experience with Agile techniques:
- User Stories,
- Test-Driven Development,
- Continuous Delivery,
- Pair Programming,
- Automated Testing Techniques
- Servant leadership,
- Situational awareness,
- Continual improvement,
- Empowerment, and
- Increasing transparency
- work independently and be a good team player
- participate and thrive in a collaborative environment
- handle conflict and take leadership
- Strong negotiation skills
- Good time management skills
- Self-motivated and an ability and willingness to self-train and up-skill independently
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Desirable additional education, work exp. & personal qualities:
- Ability both to work independently and be a good team player
- Ability to participate and thrive in a collaborative environment
- Ability to handle conflict and take leadership
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Awareness and experience with Agile techniques: User Stories, Test Driven Development, Continuous Delivery, Pair Programming, Automated Testing Techniques
- Understanding and experience in the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- JIRA (Atlassian) knowledge
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 03 July 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide the names and contact details of at least three referees.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will be made in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
You can get more information regarding the opening here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.