The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a Senior Fibre Technician to its Carnarvon, Northern Cape facility on a five-year contract. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading a small team in the installation and maintenance of the Dish fibre network (DFN) for the MeerKAT Extension and SKA-1 Mid Radio telescopes, as well as Optical Fibre Networks (OFN) and related activities at telescope sites and within SARAO.
- Lead a small team in installations, troubleshooting, and maintaining fibre optic systems at telescope sites or as directed;
- Provide input to optical fibre lower-level fibre designs at telescope sites when required;
- Follow the dish fibre network (DFN) procurement plan while complying with SARAO SCM procurement procedures to purchase required items for fibre optic installation at telescope sites;
- Ensure proper marketing research to understand industry capability and engage with suppliers to minimise risk;
- Mentor optical fibre team members with less experience;
- Be accountable for fibre optic deliverables at telescope sites to ensure quality and professionalism;
- Take the lead in documenting, installing, testing and troubleshooting fibre optic systems at telescope sites;
- Conduct regular inspections of fibre optic network systems at telescope sites to locate and repair any defects detected during the inspections; and
- Mobilise resources within minimum time to attend to detected/ reported fibre optics faults and ensure they are repaired within the minimum possible time.
- National Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering with + 9 years related work experience, of which +5 years is in Fibre Optic splicing;
- Valid driver’s licence; and
- FOA Certificate.
- Working in a project team at a responsible level; and
- Experience using Fibre Optic troubleshooting tools (i.e., OTDR, Loss tests, Inspection probes, etc.).
- Assemble different types of patch panels and joints;
- Understand and identify the different types of optical connectors;
- Perform tasks using plans and diagrams;
- Construction and maintenance of fibre optic links;
- Interpret test results; and
- Reading of fibre optic splicing diagrams/documents.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills;
- Work independently and as a team member;
- Excellent communication in English (written and verbal);
- Ability to work under tight schedules;
- Willingness to work in remote locations from time to time as well as outside normal working hours;
- Willing to learn;
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Good working knowledge of hand and power tools used in this position with proficiency in fibre cable termination with connectors;
- Well-versed in fusion splicing machine technique; and
- Self-disciplined, motivated and organised
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit a comprehensive CV by logging in here by 4 July 2023. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
For more information, click here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.