The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is hiring for multiple positions. The successful applicants will join the team at Carnarvon, Northern Cape.
SKA Mid-Site Environmental Officer
This is a long-term contract position where the successful candidate will form part of the SKA-Mid Site Management Team, reporting to the SKA-Mid Environment & Sustainability Specialist. The successful applicant will be responsible for the implementation and monitoring of Contractor Environmental Management Plans (EMPrs) and all construction licence compliance requirements during construction and operations.
- Reviewing Contractor Environmental Management Plans and Method Statements to ensure compliance with the SKA-Mid Integrated Environmental Management Plan and construction licences;
- Responding to Contractor queries regarding environmental and construction licence requirements;
- Undertaking weekly inspections to ensure SKAO and contractor compliance, compiling reports and updating compliance software platform;
- Conducting monthly audits with the Environmental Control Officer (ECO) and updating compliances/non-compliance on the software platform;
- Addressing non-conformances with Contractors and providing reports on close-out of non-conformances;
- Completing a daily environmental incident log and complaints record sheet available for inspection at any time;
- Recording all visits and environmental control reports, including photographic evidence;
- Undertaking heritage inductions and ongoing environment, licencing and heritage toolbox talks to contractors and SKA- Mid staff, and much more.
A recognised National Diploma in Environmental Science, Environmental Management or equivalent with a minimum of 3 years of experience on a construction site.
- Proven knowledge of the National Environmental Management Act (NEMA) and regulations;
- Proven knowledge of the National Environmental Management: Protected Areas Act;
Proven knowledge of environmental aspects, hazard identification, and risk management processes;
- Sound knowledge of environmental incident investigation processes and their causation phenomena;
- Environmental auditing and inspection training;
- Experience in building strong people relationships, general management practices and experience in managing and leading contractor environmental teams;
- Valid driver’s licence;
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills;
- A flexible team player who is adaptable to change;
- Familiarity with the formalism for and requirements of quality control environments such as ISO9001, 14001 and 45001;
- Knowledge of the South African construction industry legislation and regulations;
- Environment (health and safety), construction;
- Proven track record in working with contractors on construction sites;
- Environmental risk management;
- Quality management and
- Knowledge and experience of environmental auditing as per ISO 14001 standards.
This is a permanent contract where the successful applicant will join the SARAO team to inspect, maintain and repair all power lines, electrical installations, and electrical equipment. They will also perform new installations or make modifications to existing installations.
- Regular inspections of all LV and MV installations;
- Perform fault finding, scheduled and emergency maintenance on MV and LV installations
- Perform modifications and new installations according to specifications;
- Switching and linking of MV switchgear;
- Record keeping of equipment failures, inspections, available spares and service records.
- Qualified Electrician – trade test;
- Certified to work on MV installations up to 33kV;
- Certified to do switching and linking on 22kV and 33kV;
- Wireman’s Licence (advantageous).
- 3 years of related experience in MV distribution power lines, distribution transformers, MV protection, motors and control circuits, motor/generator sets and standby batteries;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Computer literate (Microsoft Word, Excel and Power-point).
- MV and LV installations;
- Electrical drawings;
- MV and LV safety and switching regulations and procedures;
- Maintenance of standby generators and electrical motors.
SARAO has vacancies for two Radiotricians to join its team on a permanent contract. The successful candidates will be responsible for providing technical support and installation and maintenance on a two-way radio network.
- Maintenance and support of the two-way radio system and infrastructure;
- Program frequencies on radio and high sites;
- Perform installation and repairs on radio equipment;
- Installations and removals of high-site equipment;
- Record keeping of equipment failures, Inspections, available spares and service records.
- Qualified Radiotrician – trade test;
- 3 years of working experience as a Radiotrician within a 2-way radio/ network /repeater environment;
- FM principle certificate (advantageous);
- Computer literate (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Basic electronics;
- Project processes (documentation, configuration management and procurement.)
- Low/Mid–band two-way radio system (mobiles, handheld, portables base-station and repeaters (e.g. TAIT, KURISUN, TPL, ENTEL, KIRICOM, etc);
- Maintenance and fault-finding.
- EMI/RFI knowledge;
- Radio mast and mobile radio communication;
- Interpretation of Schematic diagrams;
- Good general workshop practice.
Software Site Support Engineer
SARAO has an opening for a software site support engineer to join its team on a permanent contract. The successful candidates will be responsible providing support engineering, deployment and commissioning activities of the telescopes in the karoo.
- Investigating support issues reported on site;
- Coordinating tests, fault finding and tracking down of cross-subsystem issues;
- Supporting user requests for data and trend analysis;
- Fixing minor bugs in the deployed software where possible;
- Engaging with different subsystems to identify problems, perform system integration tests, and support commissioning tests on site;
- Deploying and maintaining development infrastructure;
- Deploying software subsystems on production systems and managing/monitoring site deployments;
- Documentation and project management input as required;
- Site visits as required;
- Training of operators and commissioners on the software subsystems;
- Lab integration tests of subcontractor deliverables with the software systems; feedback/inputs to subcontractors, and much more.
- N.D (Comp Sci) with 6+ years; OR
- B.Tech/B.Sc (Comp Sci) with 5+ years; OR
- B.Eng/B.Sc Hons (Comp Sci) with 4+ years; OR
- M.Eng/M.Sc (Comp Sci) with 2+ years; OR
- Engineering (with a software focus) or related field.
- Testing, deployment, commissioning, release and support of large-scale projects,
- Test-driven development and integration testing techniques, methodologies and frameworks; and supporting systems,
- Quality assurance processes and software development processes.
- Modern software collaboration tools such as Github, Containers, Google Drive, JIRA etc.;
- Knowledge of continuous integration, testing and deployment techniques and tools;
- Knowledge of the Linux operating systems and networking; and
- Knowledge of the Python programming language is beneficial.
Desktop Support Technician
This is a permanent contract where the successful applicant will join the Business IT team for the continuous operations of SARAO’s Business IT systems and services, including audiovisual, telephony, business operating systems, applications and backup and recovery services.
- Implementation of efficient SARAO Helpdesk function;
- Software installation and updates;
- Integrated IT services and availability;
- Security and protection;
- Responding, managing and resolving helpdesk tickets;
- Receiving, commissioning, repairing and distributing used and new IT assets;
- Administering IT business systems.
- National Diploma IT, NQF 6 OR equivalent;
- Valid CompTIA A+ certification;
- Valid CompTIA Network+ certification.
5 years experience in an ICT service team or IT environment providing desktop support
- Knowledge of Microsoft operating system;
- Knowledge and experience with Linux and Apple MAC IOS;
- ITIL framework foundation;
- B-Tech Information Technology;
- TCP/IP networking;
- Knowledge and experience with video conferencing and telephony systems;
- Knowledge of cybersecurity principles and practices;
- Able to contribute positively to a team;
- Adaptable with good problem-solving skills;
- Highly motivated and committed;
- Good communicator;
- Good interpersonal skills.
Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.