The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a Commercialisation Specialist on a permanent contract. The position is based in Cape Town, Western Cape. The Commercialisation Specialist will be responsible for identifying intellectual property that can be commercialised through regular interaction with MeerKAT development teams, conducting preliminary evaluations through patent searches, and facilitating the development of project scopes/plans development.
- Conducting and evaluating the market, including market sizing and mapping;
- Assessing technology readiness and proposing commercialisation options;
- Assisting in the definition of project scope and objectives involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical visibility;
- Refining existing and new products/systems and support development towards production readiness;
- Developing and conducting research into new product directions to meet customer needs;
- Preparing project budgets;
- Analysing projects risks and opportunities;
- Creating and maintaining comprehensive project documents, including requirements and product scope;
- Ensuring all projects are delivered on time and within the scope; and
- Closing out projects.
- Degree in Electronics and/or Electrical;
- Three years of experience in technology or product development commercialisation; and
- Experience in leading/facilitating the development of project scopes/plans.
- Product development and product lifecycle;
- Bidding for and securing funding; and
- Developing and testing products based on specifications.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to the development of new products or improvement of existing ones; and
- An understanding of the barriers to commercialisation and the means to overcome them.
- Excellent information retrieval, critical evaluation and analytical skills;
- The ability to work on their initiative to develop funded industrial collaborations;
- Effective research and report writing skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; and.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and stakeholder relationships.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV by logging in here no later than 20 June 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability. In addition, the applicants must provide the names and contact details of referees. Please visit here for more information.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress and will make appointments to the position in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.