The South African Space Agency (SANSA) is looking to hire a Ground Station Systems Engineer on a permanent contract at Hartbeeshoek site situated in Hartebeesthoek, Gauteng. The opportunity is open to individuals with relevant skills, drive, expertise, competencies, and qualifications to work on the establishment of a new ground station at Matjiesfontein in Western Cape.
The successful candidate will report to the Project Manager and be responsible but not limited to the following duties:
- Provide engineering expertise on RF, electronic, and electrical systems. Knowledge of control systems, mechanics, power generation, networks, software, and computing or data storage will be beneficial. Knowledge of transmission devices and advice on the placement of antennae for optimal performance;
- Operate RF test equipment and knowledge of RF circuits as per specification;
- Upgrade legacy systems and migrate them to the current platforms used;
- Perform acceptance testing on all ground segment systems and subsystems.
- Conduct tests to determine the strength of generating and/or receiving signals;
- Conduct frequency interference testing;
- Program RF equipment such as digital transmitters and receivers to optimize performance;
- Support the development of prototypes and technology demonstrators;
- Manage technical projects including budget and resources;
- Work with the Project Management Office on technical aspects of a project;
- Prepare project documentation for the Project Office and clients;
- Provide guidance, training, and mentorship to interns and employees.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Electronics / Electronic Communications;
- MEng/specialist expertise in RF and antenna engineering;
- Experience in a telecommunications or RF Engineering environment;
- Minimum of six (6) years experience working with satellite ground stations or radio astronomical installations, RF systems, and relevant software;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good interpersonal, planning, and organizing skills;
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure;
- Certification from a system engineering body;
- A valid driver’s license.
In addition, candidates must be prepared to travel as the project will require regular travel and stayovers in Matjiesfontein as the project will take approximately two and a half years. Interested persons may apply by submitting their detailed CV through this link.
Applicants are to note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, competency assessment, and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
Additionally, SANSA subscribes to the principles of employment equity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of SANSA and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given to candidates from under-represented designated groups. Nevertheless, the agency reserves the right to not make an appointment.
SANSA will only communicate with short-listed candidates.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.