The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is looking to hire a development and maintenance engineer for its Space Science Programme on a permanent contract. The opportunity is open to individuals with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, and qualifications to join the space science team in Hermanus, Western Cape.
The successful candidate will report to the engineering and data acquisition manager and will be responsible for but not limited to the following duties:
- Provide engineering support to the development and optimisation of SANSA’s research infrastructure platforms
- plan, coordinate, and execute maintenance, repairs, and upgrades on instrumentation and data logging systems according to technical specifications, maintenance plan, and client needs
- Plan and conduct Engineering Training
- Collaborator & Stakeholder Engagement
- Project Management
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (in Electrical or Electronic Engineering) from a university or the University of Technology. A master’s degree will be an advantage.
- 3 – 5 years of experience in an electronics development environment
- Proven electronic circuit design, analysis, and diagnostic skills
- Previous experience in PCB design and fabrication and in using PCB design software and tools (e.g. Altium Designer)
- 3 – 5 years of experience working with embedded systems (e.g. Raspberry Pi, Internet of Things, Microcontrollers). Experience working with FPGAs and hardware description languages will be an advantage.
- Familiarity with the use of general-purpose test and measurement equipment as well as Network and Spectrum Analysers
- Familiarity working with Linux operating systems (e.g., Ubuntu) in a command-line environment with the ability to install, configure and operate Linux-based systems.
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python or BASH. Experience with programming languages such as C/C++ or GO will be an advantage.
In addition, the candidate must be able to work at heights, be willing and able to travel to remote sites and be willing to relocate permanently to Hermanus for this position.
Interested persons may apply by registering their detailed CV and cover letter through this link. Applications will close on 27 September 2022.
Applicants are to note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, competency assessment, and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
Additionally, SANSA subscribes to the principles of employment equity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of SANSA and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given to candidates from under-represented designated groups. Nevertheless, the agency reserves the right to not make an appointment.
SANSA will only communicate with short-listed candidates. As a result, applicants may assume their application was unsuccessful if they do not hear from SANSA within four weeks of the closing date.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.