The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is looking to hire a Chief Data Systems for its Earth Observation Programme on a permanent contract. The opportunity is open to individuals with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, and qualifications to join the Earth Observation team in Pretoria, Gauteng.
The successful candidate will report to the managing director and will be expected to design and implement a high-performance computing environment and data management system aligned with global standards for Earth observation data that enables the storage, processing, discovery and access, archiving and curation of satellite data and derived information products acquired and developed by SANSA.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Design and implement an Earth observation Data Systems Strategy;
- Design and manage a high-performance Earth observation Data Centre;
- Data management;
- Operationalisation and performance of Data Systems;
- Risk management and compliance; and
- People management.
Qualifications and Experience
- A BSc Honours degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Systems or related qualification;
- A Master’s degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Systems or related qualification will be an added advantage;
- Successfully managed a software development team/s working on large and complex computer systems;
- 10 years as a Senior Systems Engineer, Software Engineer or similar experience;
- More than five years as head of technical systems team (management position);
- Experience in agile methodology, DevOps and scrum will be an added advantage; and
- Knowledge of managing a hybrid computing environment, i.e. mixture of on-premise and cloud resources.
Knowledge and Skills
Candidate must have skills and knowledge of:
- Knowledge of modern system design architectures (e.g. containerisation and orchestration (Kubernetes));
- Management of a hybrid data centre, managing a mixture of on-premise and cloud-based resources;
- Understanding of computer networks and security
- Hardware virtualisation and clustering technologies
- Storage systems – short-term and long-term storage systems (backup technologies)
- Systems hosting infrastructure and life-cycle management
- Applications and integration architectures
- Knowledge of Cloud computing architectures and services (Storage and Compute) and preferably AWS;
- Experience leading a software development team;
- Experience with the SDLC (Software Development Life-Cycle) and modern ways of working, such as leading fast-paced teams by applying DevOps (XOps) and Agile Methodologies; and
- Ability to lead a team of software developers and be hands-on when the situation requires—leading by example.
Interested persons may apply by registering their detailed CV and cover letter through this link. Applications will close on 15 September 2022.
Applicants are to note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, competency assessment, and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
Additionally, SANSA subscribes to the principles of employment equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this. Nevertheless, the agency reserves the right to not make an appointment. SANSA will only communicate with short-listed candidates. As a result, applicants may assume their application was unsuccessful if they do not hear from SANSA within four weeks of the closing date.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.