The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is recruiting an electronics engineer for its facility at Marion Island, South Africa. The successful applicants will spend three months in Hermanus from 3 January 2022 – March 2022 for training and then depart for Marion Island. Furthermore, the successful applicants will spend an entire year (April 2022 to May 2023) at Marion Island. As a result, the candidates must be physically fit, have sober habits, be mentally strong and prepared for physically challenging and satisfying work. Furthermore, although the base is well-equipped with e-mail, fax and satellite telephone facilities, the applicant must be self-sufficient and self-motivated.
- At least a B Eng (Electronics Engineering) or equivalent;
- The ability to work and live with small groups of people is essential;
- Competency in electronic maintenance, diagnostics and repairs with proven fault-finding capabilities;
- Experience working with computers, especially with LINUX operating systems;
- Experience in programming, especially in BASH and Python, would be an advantage.
- Design and build new equipment;
- Maintain and upgrade instrumentation;
- Install, commission, maintain, calibrate and modify electronic instruments and systems for the collection, reduction and analysis of data;
- Execute experiments related to space weather studies;
- Give core engineering support.
Appointment to these positions is subject to a rigorous medical examination, arranged for at no cost to the applicants. No person may be declared fit if they have any history of stable angina, recent myocardial infarction, insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, known psychiatric ailments or are on tuberculosis treatment. In addition, food, accommodation and protective clothing are provided by the South African Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries (Southern Oceans and Antarctic Support) while the applicant is at Marion Island.
Also, background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process. SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity. Accordingly, preference will be given to candidates following this.
More information on the island and human activities there can be found here.
Closing date: 8 November 2021
Please apply here if you meet the above requirements.
SANSA will only communicate with the short-listed candidates. Therefore, if applicants have not heard from SANSA within four weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.