The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is hiring a systems engineer at the Earth Observation Programme situated in Pretoria, Gauteng. The systems engineer will report to the chief data systems officer and will be responsible for implementing, managing, and monitoring earth observation systems, encompassing the design of earth observation systems architecture, ingestion, processing, archiving, and dissemination of products for existing and new satellite sensors received.
The position is open to individuals with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, and qualifications who put the interests of the nation first, have a commercial mindset, think like our customers, are knowledge-driven and people-centric.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Architectural Design of IT Systems
- Strategic Project Management
- Client and Supplier Liaison
- Technical Expertise
- Project Engineering, Integration and Upgrade of Earth Observation
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Electronics or Aerospace (NQF Level 9)
- Minimum 5 years experience in systems engineering and technology management
- Minimum 5 years experience in software development and systems integration
- Relevant skills and knowledge of Amazon Web Services or equivalent cloud solution architecture.
- Experience building and maintaining big data pipelines, including open data licensing, metadata, and other standards such as CEOS specifications for analysis-ready data.
- Ability to epitomise a positive, collaborative, and inclusive team culture.
- Experience working with scientific specialists and Earth observation data.
- Open-source software development practices.
- Ability to communicate complex systems in simpler terms with internal and external stakeholders.
- Build and maintain relationships with infrastructure and data processing partners.
- Experience working in diverse and inclusive teams.
- Systems and software modelling tools/languages, e., UML, SysML, LML
- Standardized architecture definition and documentation approaches, e., ISO/IEC 42010, SEI Views and Beyond, DoDAF, TOGAF, etc.
- Holistic view of Business, Satellite Systems, Operations, Market, and other Ground stations
- Information Technologies, Computers and networks, internet, product delivery mechanisms
- Database Management and Storage technologies
- EO Ingest, Archive and Catalogue Systems
- EO Processing Systems, GIS
- SLA and maintenance management, risk assessment and systems analysis
- Systems requirement identification, systems specification, verification and validation, product life cycle and project management
Applicants are to note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Furthermore, background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, competency assessment, and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
In addition, SANSA reserves the right to not make an appointment. SANSA also subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities and other under-represented designated groups. Candidates will receive preference under this.
Applications will close on 26 July 2022; if you meet the above requirements and are interested, kindly send your detailed CV and cover letter here. Only shortlisted candidates will receive feedback. Furthermore, applicants may assume their applications were unsuccessful if they do not receive feedback four weeks after the closing date.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.