The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is looking to hire a Space Weather Programmer for its Space Science Programme. The programmer will join the Space Weather team in Hermanus, Western Cape in developing and maintaining algorithms that lead to products and services offered by the SANSA Space Weather Centre. The programmer will also be the lead in moving research-developed models to operations, providing coding assistance for advisory production for clients, and ensuring the introduction of efficiencies within the operational space weather environment.
- Designing and developing innovative and practical technical solutions, applications, software or algorithms for the Space Weather Centre;
- Testing, installing, evaluating and maintaining new algorithms and programmes;
- Providing operational programming support to the Space Weather Centre; and
- Assisting application development projects by providing advice and support
- Tertiary qualifications in Computer Science/Programming or equivalent;
- Minimum of three years of relevant industry experience;
- Experience in full stack application development;
- Database design
- Backend web API design and implementation
- Frontend development using React/Angular and similar frameworks
- Data visualisation
- Excellent programming capability/experience is essential, with a minimum of three years of experience in Python programming;
- Good systems and process analysis skills;
- Passion for coding that is demonstrable through extramural activities;
- Team playing and commitment to working in a continuously improving and quality environment;
- Independent decision-making capability and proactive problem-solving skills;
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills; and
Interested persons may apply by registering their detailed CV and cover letter through this link. Applications will close on 13 September 2022.
Interested persons should note that the position requires them to be based in Hermanus in the Western Cape. As a result, applicants need to indicate their availability to relocate to Hermanus for the position. Furthermore, interested persons should note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Likewise, background verification may form part of the selection process, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, competency assessment, and psychometric testing.
Additionally, SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Nevertheless, the Agency reserves the right not to make an appointment. SANSA will only communicate with short-listed candidates. As a result, applicants may assume their application was unsuccessful if applicants do not hear from SANSA within four weeks of the closing date.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.