The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is looking to recruit a development & maintenance engineer. The opportunity is at the space science programme situated at SANSA’s Hermanus facility in Western Cape. In addition, the position is to be filled by an individual with the relevant skills, drive, competencies and qualifications. Furthermore, this position requires the incumbent to be based in Hermanus.
Reporting to the engineering and data acquisition manager, the ideal candidate will be responsible for but not limited to the following duties:
- Provide engineering support to the development and optimisation of SANSA’s research infrastructure platforms;
- Plan, coordinate, and execute maintenance, repairs, and upgrades on instrumentation and data-logging systems according to technical specifications, maintenance plan, and client needs;
- Plan and conduct engineering training;
- Collaboration & stakeholder engagement;
- Project management.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree (in Electrical or Electronic Engineering) from a university or University of Technology. A Masters Degree will be an advantage;
- 3 – 5 years experience in an electronics development environment;
- Proven electronic circuit design, analysis, and diagnostic skills;
- previous experience in PCB design and fabrication and in using PCB design software and tools (e.g. Altium Designer);
- 3 – 5 years experience working with embedded systems (e.g. Raspberry Pi, Internet of Things, Microcontrollers). Experience working with FPGA’s and hardware description languages will be an advantage;
- Familiarity with the use of general-purpose test and measurement equipment and network and spectrum analysers;
- Familiarity working with Linux operating systems (e.g., Ubuntu) in a command-line environment with the ability to install, configure and operate Linux based systems;
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python or BASH. Experience with programming languages such as C/C++ or GO will be an advantage.
- The candidate must be able to work at heights and must be willing and able to travel to remote sites;
- Please note that the positions will be based at the SANSA Hermanus in the Western Cape. Therefore, preference will be given to candidates who live within a 20 km radius of the SANSA site.
Applicants are to note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Furthermore, background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, capabilities, and citizenship checks, as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
Interested applicants should upload their CVs here. However, SANSA will only communicate with shortlisted candidates. Thus, If applicants have not heard from it within four weeks of closing, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful. The opportunity closes on 4 February 2022.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.