The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) has a vacancy for a Development and Maintenance Engineer. The office-bearer will report to the Engineering and Data Acquisition Manager. The position will be based at the SANSA Hermanus in the Western Cape and requires the incumbent to be based in Hermanus.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Provide engineering support to the development and optimisation of SANSA’s research infrastructure platforms,
- Plan, coordinate, and execute maintenance, repairs, and upgrades on instrumentation and data-logging systems according to technical specifications, maintenance plan, and client needs,
- Plan and conduct engineering training,
- Collaborator & stakeholder engagement, and
- Project management.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree (in Electrical or Electronic Engineering) from a university or university of technology,
- A Master’s degree will be an advantage,
- 3 – 5 years of experience in an electronics development environment,
- Proven electronic circuit design, analysis, and diagnostic skills,
- Previous experience in PCB design and fabrication and in using PCB design software and tools (e.g. Altium Designer),
- 3 – 5 years of experience working with embedded systems (e.g. Raspberry Pi, Internet of Things, Microcontrollers),
- Experience working with FPGAs and hardware description languages will be an advantage,
- Familiarity with the use of general-purpose test and measurement equipment as well as Network and Spectrum Analysers,
- Familiarity working with Linux operating systems (e.g., Ubuntu) in a command-line environment with the ability to install, configure and operate Linux based systems,
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python or BASH. Experience with programming languages such as C/C++ or GO will be an advantage, and
- The candidate must be able to work at heights and be willing and able to travel to remote sites.
Applicants are to note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Furthermore, background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
In addition, SANSA reserves the right not to make an appointment. SANSA also subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities and other under-represented designated groups. Candidates will receive preference under this.
Applications will close on 31 May 2022; register your detailed CV and Cover letter if you’re interested and meet the requirements. SANSA will only communicate with shortlisted candidates. Furthermore, applicants may assume their applications were unsuccessful if they do not receive feedback four weeks after the closing date.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.