The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is looking to recruit a Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The CEO will report to the Chairperson of the SANSA Board. The successful applicant will be responsible for developing and implementing organisational strategy, related policies, and plans to enable the business’s commercial, organisational, and financial success. This will include growing the portfolio of products and services on offer through practical research, development and innovation, managing the maintenance and development of the systems and infrastructure and increasing the revenue base through business development and delivery.
The ideal candidate must have
- At least an NQF 9 qualification in a relevant space science and/or engineering domain is required;
- A business/commercial related qualification and a master’s degree is preferred;
- A proven track record of leadership, management and change management gained at a senior management level with the proven ability to manage large teams of highly motivated employees;
- A broad understanding of the space science and technology industry, together with appropriate national and international recognition among peers in the industry;
- At least ten years senior/executive level management experience in public and/or private sector;
- At least five years commercial experience in the aerospace, defence, electrotechnical or similar sector(s); and
- At least five years experience in managing budgets and financial performance (Experience managing public sector budgets is preferred).
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to
- Driving the strategic direction of SANSA and demonstrating an understanding of the opportunities in local and international markets and engaging with key stakeholders in overseeing the development and implementation of the Agency’s strategy in line with its mandate and purpose;
- Ensuring sound corporate governance principles by supervising the implementation of all governance standards and frameworks, good governance practices, and compliance requirements for all governance structures;
- Ensuring SANSA is adequately capitalised and overseeing the development, upgrading and maintenance of systems and infrastructure;
- Ensuring systems are in place for effective risk management and that appropriate internal controls are in place to ensure organisation-wide legislative compliance;
- Promoting the establishment of a conducive environment that supports the development of innovative space products, services, and applications to drive commercial revenue generation, growth, and sustainability.;
- Leading initiatives to promote the integration of local market into continental and international R&D initiatives and driving incubation programmes to develop the local space capacity;
- Ensuring organisational Information Management and Information and Communication Technology systems are in place; and
- Ensuring the SANSA vision is successfully translated into reality by playing a leading role in the planning, communicating, and implementing the Agency’s change management processes.
Applicants are to note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Furthermore, background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, and competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
In addition, SANSA reserves the right not to make an appointment. SANSA also subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Candidates will receive preference under this.
Applications will close on 05 April 2022; register your detailed CV and Cover letter if you’re interested and meet the requirements. SANSA will only communicate with shortlisted candidates. Consequently, applicants may assume their applications were unsuccessful if they do not get feedback after four weeks.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.