The South African Astronomical Observatory (SAAO) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of staff astronomer.
The primary responsibility of the astronomer is to conduct original research, preferably in a field connected to or supporting one of the research focus areas at SAAO and SALT. Student supervision will be strongly encouraged and active participation in the scientific and functional life of the observatory. These other activities would depend on the applicant’s strengths, interests and background and may include observing support, instrumentation and/or software development, lecturing, or science engagement. At least 70% of the time would be reserved for research. All astronomers need to be based in Cape Town but will travel to Sutherland if and when required.
- PhD in Astronomy or related field;
- Two or more years of post-doctoral experience in astronomy; and
- Proven ability to carry out personal astronomical research.
Desirable Work Experience
- Research field aligning with areas of interest at SAAO, or strong observational astronomy background, or interest in astronomical instrumentation development;
- A strong publication record;
- Experience and/or strong interest in student supervision;
- Background in science engagement activities;
- Interest in developing professional astronomy nationally and internationally; and
- Interest in developing and growing a research group at SAAO.
The position will be a permanent position within the SAAO/NRF staff structure. The salary package will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position will be filled in line with the NRF’s Employment Equity Policy and Plan in the South African context of the Employment Equity Act.
Applicants should send a cover letter, a brief statement of a research plan and a copy of their CV to the SAAO Head of Research, Dr Vanessa McBride [Vanessa@saao.ac.za] and to the SAAO HR Manager, Linda Tobin [email@example.com], and arrange for three letters of reference to be sent to both addresses.
Please complete the application form.
For further information, please contact Dr Vanessa McBride at the above address.
Applications should be submitted no later than 22 August 2021.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.