The International Indigenous Astronomy Conference will be held at the North-West University in Mahikeng, North West Province, South Africa, from 27 – 29 July 2022. The conference themed “Facing the reality, value and relevance of indigenous astronomy in the 21st Century”, aims to contribute to the understanding of the value of indigenous astronomy, advocacy and communication programmes, improved research methodologies, epistemologies and philosophies.
In addition, the conference intends to bring together indigenous astronomy experts, academics, policymakers, government officials, indigenous knowledge experts, civic society, researchers, students and other relevant stakeholders to deliberate on the value and contribution of indigenous astronomy as it relates to science and technology. Other outcomes include the launch of the international indigenous astronomy experts’ society and the publication of the proceedings and recommendations, which will be disseminated to stakeholders. Furthermore, policy briefs and research notes will also be produced to share with policymakers.
This international conference’s strategic objectives will be:
- To bring together Indigenous Knowledge Systems experts, Indigenous Astronomy experts, researchers, scholars, and indigenous knowledge holders and practitioners, establish the International Indigenous Astronomy Experts Society (IIAES).
- To promote indigenous astronomy as a paradigm for social, cultural, educational and economic development and empowerment.
- The conference will provide a platform for deliberations on strategies and policies in indigenous astronomy research and address best practices.
- The conference will promote dialogues, critical conversations and debates on inter/ multi/transdisciplinary conventions of IKS.
Conference keynote speakers
- Dr Jarita Holbrook from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- Dr Duane Willis Hamacher from the University of Melbourne, Australia
- Mkhulu Zweli Hlongwane from the Zindzi Mandela Foundation, South Africa
Kindly check here to learn more about the conference and how to apply.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.