The Marine and Coastal Areas Management in North and West Africa (MarCNoWA) is a project under the GMES and Africa Programme Phase 2 seeking to provide decision-makers in North and West Africa with Earth observation (EO) information and tools to support effective marine and coastal resources management.
The MarCNoWA project focuses on delivering 6 EO services on coastal environment and fisheries:
- Provision of potential fishing zone charts overlaid with vessel traffic;
- Monitoring and forecasting oceanography variables;
- Forecast of ocean conditions disseminated as SMS alerts;
- Oil spill monitoring;
- Generate coastal vulnerability indices; and
- Mapping of coastal habitats.
In continuation of MarCNoWA’s effort to preserve the coastal ecosystem, the Global Monitoring for Environment and Security and Africa (GMES and Africa), in conjunction with EUMETSAT, the University of Ghana and Mercator Ocean International, will host a marine EO training programme on 14-16 February 2023. In addition, the event aims to introduce participants to marine data products and tools available through the Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service (CMEMS).
- Fabrice Messal – User Experience and Capacity Development Manager at Mercator Ocean International.
- Dr Hayley Evers-King – Marine Applications Expert at EUMETSAT.
- Dr Ben Loveday – Marine Earth Observation Scientist & Copernicus Marine Training Service Coordinator
- Ignatius Kweku William – Training Officer at the Regional Marine Centre, University of Ghana
To register for the event, kindly check here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.