RCMRD is hiring a Remote Sensing/GIS Technician—SERVIR E&SA Project
The Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD) is hiring a Remote Sensing/GIS technician to work with the SERVIR-Eastern and Southern Africa (E&SA) Project team. The successful candidate will report to the thematic lead, weather and climate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Downloading, archiving, and converting different satellite data formats for further
- Analysing and synthesising environmental information (land use, weather, water quality, oceanography, etc.) using satellite remote sensing data from different satellite missions.
- Developing programming scripts (e.g. using shell programming, python, R, IDL, NCL, etc.) for batch processing and analyzing remote sensing imagery.
- Carrying out statistical analysis of station/field and remote sensing data using open source and commercial software packages (e.g ArcGIS, ERDAS Imagine, GMT, FERRET, NCL, GraDs, SAGA GIS, QGIS, R etc) to develop data-derived products useful for science and policy making.
- Producing findings in form of maps, tables, figures etc that communicate accurate content of results.
- Participating in fieldwork and/or meetings outside RCMRD, related to tasks under your work. Compilation of field and meeting reports and forwarding to your supervisors.
- Submitting timely reports (scientific and non-scientific) detailing the findings of each task assigned by the relevant tasklead; producing conference materials such as posters and PowerPoint slides that are useful for disseminating the findings of your work.
- Carry out any other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisors.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in either Ecology, Rangeland Management Ecological Modeling, Water Resources Management, Climate Change, Meteorology and weather-related fields, disaster management, climate-related disaster resilience or related field;
- Demonstrated experience in the use of GIS and RS in the above fields.
- Ability to understand major environment and climate-related issues facing the eastern and southern Africa region.
- Capable of interpreting ideas and suggesting appropriate geospatial tools and/or techniques used for solving a problem.
- Preferably possess One (1) year of experience in the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs or drones) for environmental work, and the capacity to process the data for various applications, especially mapping. Being a recognized drone pilot by KCCA will be an added advantage.
The position is for an initial fixed term of two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds.
The expected remuneration package for this position shall be Ksh.115,000 per month with other
benefits such as Medical Insurance.
How to Apply
Qualified and interested applicants should submit their applications, via mail to email@example.com no later than 8 July 2022. The applications, along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as copies of relevant certificates and testimonials should be addressed to:
Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development,
P.O Box 632, 00618,
The Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD) is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from suitably qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged. In addition, RCMRD does not charge any fees during the recruitment process.
You can get more information regarding the opening here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.