NewSpace Systems (NSS) is an advanced manufacturer of robust satellite subsystems and components. NSS is strong in the area of Attitude Determination and Control Solutions (ADCS). The NewSpace company, based in South Africa, predominantly focuses on excelling in the operational constellation market.
The South African upstream company is hiring a senior electronics engineer.
Key Purpose of Job
Product development and manufacturing aerospace engineering company in Somerset West has a permanent position for a design engineer to take responsibility for new electro-mechanical product design, development and verification on various projects working within a multidisciplinary team.
Design and develop electronics-based products used in spacecraft related systems and their associated design documentation, test procedures and calibration systems:
• Attending requirement and proposal discussions with clients when required.
• Derive technical specifications for system requirements based on market and customer needs.
• Research, develop and testing theoretical and conceptual designs.
• Derive component requirements for the electronic design using traceable and
• Simulate/test the design at various levels, ensuring that a product will work with
adequate design margins and will perform reliably and consistently in specified
• Documentation and review of all aspects during design phases.
• Design and develop embedded firmware for microcontroller and FPGA based
• Test the hardware and firmware; implement corrections as necessary.
• Interacting with sub-contractors and resolving manufacturing issues.
• Development of production documentation, and Other ad-hoc duties as required by the company.
Qualifications and Experience
• B.Sc/B.Eng degree in Electronic Engineering from a recognised institution.
Experience (ideally within the aerospace or defence industry):
• High-reliability electronic product design and realisation (>5-7 years)
• Analog and digital electronic circuit design and simulation (>5 years)
• Practical experience testing and debugging electronic circuits (>5 years)
Additional knowledge areas that would strengthen the application.
• Master’s Degree
• Software development (Python, C, C++)
• Experience working with Optical/Optomechanical systems Electromagnetic design and
• FPGA development (VHDLpreferred) (>5 years)
• Familiarity with microcontroller architectures (PIC, ARM, AVR, etc.)
• Schematic creation and PCB layout (preferably in Altium Designer)
• Familiarity with CAD software and design principles
• Project Management (MSProject or other)
• Familiarity/experience designing, developing, and supporting satellite actuator and
sensor subsystems (reaction wheel, sun sensor, magnetometer, etc.
Competencies and Skills
• Positive, self-motivated, self-starter attitude
• Innovative – thinking ‘outside the box
• Team player
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Customer focused
• Able to persuade and influence others
• Ability to bounce back
• Flexible and able to multi-task can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving
• Ability to self-manage and set priorities
Interested eligible persons may send a CV to Lm@newspacesystems.com OR contact the company on +27 (0) 21 300 0160