Botswana International University of Science and Technology (BIUST), Faculty of Sciences, Department of Physics and Astronomy calls on candidates to apply for a job opening as a Senior Lecturer in Astrophysics. The position will be based at BIUST Campus, Palapye, Botswana.
Main Purpose of the Job
To teach and educate undergraduate and graduate students in Physics and Astronomy and to build the knowledge base in Astrophysics through research and publications. To administer teaching activities within the discipline of Physics and Astrophysics and provide leadership at the module or course level. To establish a national and international research reputation in the field of Astrophysics. To be active in professional service related to Astrophysics.
BIUST has been designated as the national Host Institution for Botswana’s involvement in the African VLBI Network and ultimately SKA Phase 2 and this post is part of an ambitious expansion of Astrophysics capability at the institution.
Qualifications and Experience
- A PhD in Physics with a focus on Astrophysics
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience (after obtaining a PhD degree) in teaching and research at the university level. However, two years of relevant industrial/professional experience shall be equivalent to one year of teaching experience.
- At least 8 publications in reputable refereed journals.
- Research or technology development related to Radio Astronomy will be considered an added advantage.
- Supervision of postgraduate students will be considered an added advantage.
The University offers an attractive package commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position is offered on a fixed-term contract of five (5) years/ pensionable terms.
If you meet the requirements of the above-stated position please send your application letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae including at least three (3) recent professional references to:
Director, Human Resources at email@example.com. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.
For an informal discussion, please contact Professor Greg Hillhouse, Head of Physics and Astronomy by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: 30th August 2019
Please note: Processing of received applications will commence from 30th August 2019. The position will remain vacant until filled.
Visit the university website to learn more.