The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) has a vacancy for a Senior Logistics Engineer. Thus upon employment, the successful candidate will execute and lead elements of the logistic engineering on the SKA-Mid and MeerKAT radio telescopes and support infrastructure to influence the design for supportability and deliver their operating support baselines to the SARAO/SKA Operations. Furthermore, the Senior Logistics Engineer will operate within a matrix engineering organisation and be deployed to simultaneously execute tasks on multiple products and projects.
- To execute all elements of logistic support design, development and analysis through to the definition, delivery and verification of the Operating Support Baseline (OsBL) for telescopes and infrastructure;
- Performing physical configuration audits, logistic support analysis, FMECAs (Failure Mode, Effects & Criticality Analysis) and defining maintenance schedules and preparing task descriptions;
- Review and integrate multiple activities reports into system-level analysis and reports to ensure quality and integrity of results and recommendations within uncertain contexts;
- Coach or mentor up to five junior Engineers in the field of engineering and specifically logistic engineering;
- Use experience to employ innovative and unique methods and techniques to improve the efficiency and integrity of the logistic engineering outcomes;
- Contribute to – and advance – organisational maturity through leading the development and implementation of engineering processes within his/her realm of responsibility;
- Provide logistic engineering support across multiple domains, teams and on multiple products, subsystems and systems; and
- Contribute to strategic leadership within Programme(s) and SARAO through experience-based inputs and conceptual/strategic thinking.
- B.Tech with 13+ years; OR
- Eng / M.Tech(Eng) with 9+ years; OR
- Eng with 7+ years; OR
- PhD / D.Eng with 5+ years
- Advanced Applied Logistic & Systems Engineering;
- Across the complete lifecycle of a system or product;
- At all levels of the system’s hierarchy;
- Conducting PCAs;
- Executing Failure Modes, Effects & Criticality Analysis (FMECAs);
- Compiling Logistic Support Analysis (LSA) Reports;
- Hi-tech product support development;
- Use of Computerised Maintenance Management Systems ((CCMS) (e.g. RamLog);
- Development of maintenance processes and procedures;
- OsBL establishment and management; and
- In-service change control.
- Logistic Analysis: FMEA/ FMECA, FTA, PCA, LSA;
- Defining & compiling maintenance processes and procedures with associated task descriptions;
- Interpreting and updating engineering drawings from civil, mechanical and electrical designs; and
- Communicating effectively in English (both written and oral).
- Acknowledged in-depth knowledge of logistic engineering, technology and/or software, based on theoretical aspects and experience in logistic & systems engineering methods, procedures, tools and techniques;
- Configuration management and configuration management systems;
- Systems & Logistic Engineering Standards, e.g
- ISO/IEC/IEEE 15288,
- MIL-STD 1388-1A & -2B,
- DEFSTAN 00-60(0)
- MIL-STD 1629A
- S1000D / S3000D
- Quality assurance systems (ISO 9001); and
- The PFMA and related procurement regulations.
- Operate independently or lead teams to deliver logistic engineering, typically at all levels of the system’s hierarchy, including the enterprise or organisational aspects, including systems of systems aspects;
- Undertake logistic engineering activities throughout all lifecycle phases of the system under development, with particular focus on the concurrent engineering aspects and the design for supportability aspects;
- Function simultaneously across multiple domains, teams and on multiple systems;
- Lead the development and implementation of logistic engineering processes; and
- Use advanced interpersonal skills in order to influence change in complex systems behaviour and operational environments.
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here. In addition, applications should also submit a letter of motivation indicating the applicant’s suitability for the position. Furthermore, the applicants must provide the names and contact details of at least three referees.
The NRF offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package which is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Furthermore, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and the appointment to the position will be made in line with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. The NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment, and correspondence will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
For more information about the NRF initiatives and activities, kindly click here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.