IGAD Climate Prediction and Application Centre (ICPAC) is hiring to fill the position of Climate Change Adaptation Officer to strengthen the resilience of the IGAD region to the Adverse Impacts of Climate Change through effective Adaptation and Mitigation Actions (RICCAMA), a project supported under the Intra-ACP Global Climate Change Alliance Plus (GCCA+) Programme of the EU.
ICPAC is a specialized institution of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) mandated to perform climate monitoring and prediction to provide timely climate early warning information and supporting specific sector applications to enable the region to cope with various risks associated with climate variability and change.
The Climate Change Adaptation Officer will undertake project activities related to regional climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation at regional and national levels.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
• Conduct studies related to climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation.
• Undertake climate change adaptation capacity and needs assessment at regional and national levels
• Formulate and conduct regional capacity-building activities in line with climate change
impacts, vulnerability and adaptation.
• Support the implementation of relevant regional strategies (e.g IRCCS) for enhanced
adaptation activities at regional and national levels.
• Support organization of planned project meetings and workshops.
• Prepare periodic and annual reports on regional climate impacts, vulnerability, and adaptation including ongoing and planned programmes.
• Review and assess the progress of National Communication in support of climate change
adaptation in the region.
• Provide technical advice to member states on climate change adaptation issues in partnership with relevant national institutions.
• Provide modelling support for climate change applications including impacts, vulnerability
and adaptation studies.
• Develop and validate regional, national and sub-national climate change adaptation
frameworks, policies and guidelines.
• Perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the Project Team Leader.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s degree in climate change or related field
• Five (5) years of practical working experience in areas related to climate change impacts,
vulnerability and adaptation assessments
Key Skills and Competencies
• Good knowledge of the use of computer tools and methods required for climate impacts,
vulnerability and adaptation assessments and relevant applications.
• Familiarity with NAPAs, NAPs, IRCCS and national communications
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Ability to prepare written reports in a clear, concise and meaningful manner
• Ability to work with minimum supervision
• Good knowledge of the IGAD region
• Fluency in English
• Knowledge of French is an advantage
Negotiable within the IGAD salary Scale and policy which is attractive based on the applicant qualifications and Experience.
The position will be tenable for one-year renewable up to three years subject to availability of funds and performance.
The Project Manager will be based in ICPAC Head Office within Nairobi Metropolitan Area.
Application deadline: 5 August 2019
How to Apply
Submit Cover Letter, Detailed Curriculum Vitae and Scanned Copies of Certificates by email
to the following Address by 5 August 2019 with the title of the position as subject:
IGAD Climate Prediction and Application Centre (ICPAC)
Kenya Meteorological Department Compound
Ngong Road, Dagoretti Corner
P.O. Box 10304 GPO 100 Nairobi, Tel (+254) 20-3514426,
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, copy email@example.com
Web site: www.icpac.net
Read the official announcement to learn more about the job and ICPAC projects.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.