The Geoinformation Society of Nigeria (GEOSON) will be having its 2021 Annual General Assembly Conference from 14 to 17 of November 2021. The conference’s theme is: “Geospatial Technology for Sustainable Smart City and Blue Economic Development.”
A Smart City is an urban area that uses technology and ICT to drive all city management processes and operations. Blue Economy refers to the opportunities provided by the Ocean and water resources.
Nigeria is well-positioned to take advantage of the Atlantic Ocean and inland waterways. Some of these opportunities include; prospects from fishing, wind energy in the ocean, marine technological innovations, tourism development, security, offshore oil and gas and right of passage for economic advantage, amongst many others.
Blue Economy is a massive and untapped economic potential for Nigeria.
The sub-themes for the Conference include;
- Smart City Development
- Marine Spatial Planning and Economic Development
- Urban Security
- Property taxation and IGR improvement
- Good governance and geospatial technology
The schedule for the conference is as follows;
- Abstract Submission – April 30th
- Notification of Acceptance- 21st May
- Full Paper submission – 27 August
- Arrival and Registration – 14 Nov 2021
- Conference Dates: 14 – 17 Nov 2021
- Opening 15 Nov 2021
- Technical Presentations/Parallel Sessions -16 Nov
- GIS-Day Celebration/Award/Dinner – 17 Nov 2021
The conference is hosted by the President of the Geoinformation Society of Nigeria. The Chief Host is the Executive Governor of Lagos State, His Excellency, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, with the Guest Speaker being the Executive Governor of Kaduna State, His Excellency Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai
The Geoinformation Society of Nigeria is a body formed in recognition of the need to speak with one voice and offer advice on national issues relating to Geoinformation and to set and maintain standards applicable to Geoinformation as well as enforcement of compliance to the standards.