The South African Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) is recruiting a Director to spearhead its Radio Astronomy Projects on a permanent contract. The successful candidate will join the team at the facility in Pretoria, South Africa, to develop and implement radio astronomy programmes, including the MeerKAT, Square Kilometre Array and African Very Long Baseline Interferometry telescope projects.
- An NQF level 7 qualification in natural sciences, physical sciences or engineering services;
- A master’s degree would be an advantage;
- At least five (5 )years of working experience at the middle/senior management level in a research and development environment;
- Experience in large-scale global science projects would be an advantage;
- Knowledge and understanding of the national system of innovation, the South African astronomy landscape and the Public Finance Management Act;
- Interpersonal, project management, negotiation and stakeholder engagement skills and experience; and
- Must be visionary, proactive and decisive.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the development and implementation of radio astronomy programmes, including the MeerKAT, Square Kilometre Array and African Very Long Baseline Interferometry telescope projects;
- Develop relevant policies, strategies, strategic partnerships and other interventions.
- Ensure astronomy-related human capital development and efficient implementation of the National Strategy for Multi-wavelength Astronomy;
- Facilitate socio-economic opportunities (technology development, innovation and spin-offs) from the investments being made; and
- Strategic direction, human resource management and financial management.
How to Apply
Applications quoting the relevant reference number must be accompanied by a fully completed and signed new Z83 form and up-to-date curriculum vitae only (including three contactable referees). In addition, each application for employment form must be fully completed, duly signed, dated and initialled by the applicant, failure to do so will result in your application not being considered. Failure to complete, initial and sign this form will disqualify the application during the selection process. Do not include copies/attachments/proof on the application, only Z83 and CV.
Human Resources will request certified documents from shortlisted candidates on or before the day of the interview. Furthermore, a new application for employment form (Z83) became effective as of 1 January 2021. Individuals applying for a post must submit the new application form, which can be downloaded here.
Shortlisted candidates will be subjected to personal suitability checks (criminal record check, citizenship verification, previous employment verification and verification of qualifications and creditworthiness). It is the responsibility of applicants to have any foreign qualifications verified by the South African Qualifications Authority. The Department will respond only to shortlisted candidates, who will be interviewed on a date and at a specified time. The Department reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
- Kindly send all enquiries and questions to Ms Duduzile Magampa, Tel No: 012 843 6704
- All applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Preference will be given to women, coloured people and people with disabilities.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.