The National Research Foundation (NRF)’s Postgraduate funding opportunities are now open for applications for the 2022 academic year.
The National Research Foundation (NRF) was established as an independent government agency through the National Research Foundation Act of South Africa.
The mandate of the NRF is to promote and support research through funding, human resource development and the provision of the necessary research facilities to facilitate the creation of knowledge, innovation and development in all fields of science and technology, including indigenous knowledge and thereby contribute to the improvement of the quality of life of South Africans
Pursuant to the above mandate, the following funding opportunities are open for application for the year 2022.
- NRF (General) Honours Scholarships
- NRF (General) Master’s and Doctoral Scholarships
- Extension Support Scholarships
- TWAS Doctoral Scholarships
- NRF-DAAD Master’s and Doctoral Scholarships
- NRF-Nuffic Doctoral Scholarships
- SARAO Honours, Master’s and Doctoral Scholarships
- SASAC Master’s and Doctoral Scholarship
- Freestanding, Innovation and Scarce Skills Postdoctoral Fellowship 2022
- Grant holder-linked Scholarships
– Institutional Grants (CoEs; SARChI)
– General Research Grants
It should be noted that only full-time Honours, Master’s and Doctoral studies are supported.
Regarding deadline, Institutions set their internal application deadlines that applicants have to adhere to.
Subsequently, all applications validated and reviewed by South African public institutions and submitted to the NRF are further screened by the NRF for compliance with the eligibility criteria and requirements of the Call for applications. The NRF shall reject Applications that fail to meet the stipulated requirements
Upon completing the assessment processes and the approval of recommended funding decision by the NRF, the NRF will publish a list of successful applicants on the NRF website.
The Recognized Higher Education Institutions can be found here.
For the application and funding guide, see here.
Additionally, for further information regarding the application procedure and details, see here.