The Project Manager for the SKA1 MID Telescope Infrastructure will represent the SKA Organisation in South Africa with regard to the delivery of the infrastructure for the MID telescope. Specifically, the Project Manager will prepare the contract for and directly manage the professional team appointed under a NEC Professional Services Contract (PSC) to tender and deliver multiple MID Infrastructure NEC4 contracts.
These contracts will deliver a temporary construction camp area, permanent roads, dish antenna platforms, and foundations, power distribution and fibre networks, upgrades to existing buildings, telescope site monitoring equipment, and new security assets. The Project Manager will be a member of the SKA Infrastructure team at the SKAO HQ and will therefore initially be based in the UK. The Project Manager will report to the Project Manager SKA Infrastructure and will be a member of the SKA Project Management Team and the SKA MID Site Management Team.
Within the SKA Organisation, the successful applicant will work closely with other project managers, engineers, scientists, and operations planners. He/she will work as part of a matrixed team. After the aforementioned initial period in the UK, the Project Manager will transfer to South Africa either in Johannesburg where the South African infrastructure team is mainly based, or in Cape Town where the majority of the South African Host Country staff are based.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
The Project Manager for the SKA1 MID Telescope Infrastructure will be responsible for:
- the overall management, control, and successful delivery of the specific design work packages under their stewardship in Pre-Construction.
- managing the creation of procurement packs for the delivery of their assigned parts of the construction project, and will assist in the assessment of bids and contract negotiation in the procurement phase.
- managing these contracts through to successful completion via the PSC.
- maintaining the primary managerial link between the SKA Organisation and the PSC team, and therefore the contractors.
The Project Manager will be accountable to Project Manager SKA Infrastructure and to the leader of the MID Telescope Site Management Team. The Project Manager’s duties will include:
- Contributing to the final stages of the Pre-Construction phase, ensuring the MID Infrastructure
- work-packages/contracts are accurately represented in the Construction Plan and Proposal;
- Contributing to the Procurement Preparation activities for MID Infrastructure;
- Managing costs, schedule, issues and risks;
- Monitoring and reporting on progress;
- Managing the configuration and review of the work package and contract documentation;
- Managing communications with the contractors through the PSC and with other stakeholders;
- Managing MID Infrastructure activities within the matrix organization at SKA HQ;
- Delivering via the PSC the MID Infrastructure NEC4 contracts and successfully handing over to SKA operations;
- Ensuring project controls implemented for MID Infrastructure such that these work packages/contracts are delivered to the expected cost, time and quality and that stakeholders are appropriately engaged;
- Traveling, as required, to any of the SKA countries and elsewhere as required.
Mandatory Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Recognized university degree-level education/training in engineering or construction project management;
- Membership of, or eligibility for membership of, recognized national or international project management and/or engineering institutes;
- NEC accredited project manager qualification
- A proven track record of managing delivery in multi-disciplinary, multi-national infrastructure projects;
- Experience of working collaboratively with consultant teams;
- Experience of working collaboratively with geographically dispersed teams;
- A flexible team player who is adaptable to change;
- Experience in the delivery of engineering projects in Southern Africa; and Good English oral and written communication skills.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Post-graduate qualification in project management or engineering;
- Experience in large scale science infrastructure projects;
- Experience of projects using system engineering;
- Experience in NEC contracting;
- Experience in CEMAR or similar contract administration tools;
- Industry experience, and/or a track record in successful collaborative links with industry; and
- Familiarity with the formalism for, and requirements of, quality control environments such as ISO9001.
In addition, the role will be required to:
- Undertake training in the financial, occupational health and safety, and human resource management procedures applicable to the SKA or its partners.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the post holder’s line manager or a member of the SKA Organisation Senior Leadership Team
Equal Opportunities Statement
Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion are at the core of the SKA’s agenda and we are committed to being an equal opportunities employer. Our aim to is recruit and retain the most talented individuals, regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or nationality. Women have traditionally been under-represented in the fields of science and engineering; SKA Organisation welcomes and encourages female applicants. Where applicants with a disability need facilities or adjustments to enable them to participate in the recruitment process, these will be provided.
Deadline: 30th of August, 2020
Click here to apply!
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.