The Regional Center for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD) and Esri are pleased to announce the 2020 Map Competition on the impact of land use on local communities – for example in relation to agriculture, ecosystems, water resources, weather and climate, hazards, invasive species, marine and coastal live, conservation, biodiversity.
The RCMRD Map competition invites map submissions through Africa GeoPortal. Participants must have an Africa GeoPortal account or can create a new account here. Each participant may submit only one map. A participant can be defined as an individual (or) a group of individuals submitting one map together. Competition entries must be submitted during the contest period through the entry form.
Help encourage more awareness of the impact of land use on local communities and drive the necessary action towards achieving a sustainable balance by submitting an original map that addresses one or more challenges.
You might create an original web map that:
- Presents ideas for addressing changes in the land and marine ecosystems that will help improvements for local communities in relation to equality, hunger, poverty, climate change, or other global goals.
- Creates unique visualizations of existing data for local communities on food security, land and marine ecosystems, water resources, climate and conservation.
Judges and Selection criteria
The Judges will consist of domain experts from RCMRD and Esri. The judges will select one winner. Submissions must be new, original, and address one or more of the topics identified.
Judges will evaluate each web map based on:
- The overall design, impact, and originality.
- Use of data: RCMRD data from RCRMD page, Africa Geoportal data including Open Street Map data and Own data.
- Effective use of GIS, including one or more spatial analysis.
- Effective use of the map as a tool for communication of the importance of one or more of the identified topics (think cartography).
- Effectively showing the results around the identified topics and challenges
Submission Deadline: January 8, 2021, Contest ends at 5:00 p.m. (East Africa Time).
Winner Announced: February 2021.
All submissions will be showcased on Africa GeoPortal.
The winner will:
- Receive a 2020 RCMRD Web Map of the Year certificate
- Be featured on the RCMRD Africa GeoPortal webpage
- Be featured on the Africa GeoPortal webpage.
- Receive a one-year subscription to ArcGIS Pro Professional.
For more information and submission, visit the portal here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.