The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has announced applications for new individual members and junior members to join the Union. The timelines for application submission, review and admission will run concurrently for individual and junior members.
Eligibility for IAU Individual Membership
Candidates must be professional scientists conducting research that is directly related to astronomy. Accepted candidates by the Executive Committee will be affiliated to at least one Division.
Eligibility for IAU Junior Membership
Candidates must be scientists in the initial phase of a research career with the prospect of becoming professional researchers in astronomy. For this round of applications, candidates must have completed their PhD studies in any field of astronomy between 2018 and 2023. Admission by the Executive Committee as a Junior Member will be for a maximum period of six years.
Furthermore, junior members must indicate at least one Division they wish to join. They can join Commissions and Working Groups according to the same rules as individual members. In addition, junior members can take up any role in any working group and hold office in any Commission’s organising committee. Nevertheless, junior members cannot be Commission President or Vice President, except in commissions specifically established for junior members.
Given the expected high mobility of junior members, a proposal to become an individual member may be submitted to a National Member different from the junior member’s country.
- 2 October 2023: An invitation to the Presidents of the IAU National Committee for Astronomy (NCA) or Adhering Organisation (AO) (whichever applies) and Division Presidents (whenever there is no NCA or AO) to contact their national community or prospective candidates asking them to submit applications for IAU Membership.
- 15 December 2023: Deadline to accept applications for IAU Membership. Late proposals will not be taken into consideration.
- 15 February 2024: Deadline for the respective NCAs and Adhering Organisations to review applications and send the General Secretary the lists of proposed candidate IAU Members and the relevant referees’ assessments. The Membership Committee will subsequently review these lists.
- 31 March 2024: The deadline for the Membership Committee to review the lists of proposed candidate IAU Members and to send the General Secretary and copy to the IAU Membership Coordinator the final list of proposed IAU Members.
- April 2024: The final list of proposed IAU Members will be submitted to the Executive Committee for approval during its meeting in April 2024.
- May 2024: accepted IAU Individual and Junior Members are announced.
For more information, click here.
For inquires, contact:
- Lina Canas
IAU Membership Coordinator
- José Miguel Rodriguez Espinosa
IAU General Secretary
- Lars Lindberg Christensen
IAU Director of Communications
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.