The South African National Space Agency requires a project specialist for a period of three years to apply sound project management principles to the operational space weather centre project. The aim of the project is to move the limited operational space weather centre to a full 24/7 operational centre with all the identified products and services in place, the capability and knowledge strengthened and the required certification (which includes ISO 9001:2015) achieved. The project has already started and a number of mechanisms have already been applied. The incumbent will need to take these over.
The space weather project specialist will be required to plan, budget, oversee and document all aspects of this project. The project specialist will have the overall responsibility for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of the project. The successful incumbent will also be required to assist in developing a marketing strategy and exploring funding opportunities for the centre.
- Sound educational background with at least a Degree in Physics or Engineering,
- At least 5 years’ experience as a project manager
- Solid technical background, with understanding or hands-on experience in software development
- Strong communication skills (with both internal and external stakeholders); both verbal and written
- Excellent team management skills; should be an excellent team leader as well as team member
- Quality decision-making
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- Time management and strong analytical skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- PMP / PRINCE II certification is a plus
- Experience in the space, or information technology sectors would be an advantage
- Experience with the requirements of ISO certification would be an advantage
Responsibilities will include:
- Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors/stakeholders for the flawless execution of the project
- Ensure that all aspects of the project are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget
- Develop the project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility
- Ensure resource availability and allocation
- Develop, maintain and implement a detailed project plan to track progress
- Use appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope, schedule, and costs
- Measure project performance using appropriate systems, tools and techniques
- Report and escalate to management as needed
- Perform risk management to minimize project risks
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
Background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification, and citizenship checks, as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
Should you meet the above requirements, please apply by logging in here
Closing date: 24 January 2020
SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants do not ger feedback within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.